cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC and Removeable Device

Yair_Glikman
Level 4

We are using Backup Exec to backup files to remoavble device, we are using 3 X 2TB disk rotation. to backup windows 2008 standard

i have created 3 romovable devices in Backup Exec.

now, i have noticed the catalog data isnt saved on the disks

1. How do i restore the data if the server is lost (the cata log is lost) and i only have the BKF files on the disks

2. I have deleted the data from the disk after doing backup on it, after that i have done another backup on it, It didnt backup anything, i assume because its save all the catalog on the server? How do i fix this.

I want the catalog for current logs will be saved on the destenation device, how do i do that?

3. When the destnation device is full, is it possible to auto-delete old incrementals.

1-2 QUESTIONS ARE Imprtant, please respond!

10 REPLIES 10

James_Winslow
Level 5

Hi Yair,

Here's my responses:

1. yes you can use builtin Windows NTbackup utility to restore (seehttps://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/regard-bkf-issue)

2. "after that i have done another backup on it" --> confusing please elaborate more.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the Catalogs are lost you do not have to worry. BKF files are enough for the restore. You will just have to re-catalog the media in Backup Exec so that it can re-create the Catalogs.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1. How do i restore the data if the server is lost (the cata log is lost) and i only have the bkf files on the disks

You got to re-catalog the .bkf files again.  You got to inventory the .bkf files first.

2. I have deleted the data from the disk after doing backup on it, after that i have done another backup on it, IT didnt backup anything,

If you have deleted the data, BE will not be able to back it up.  It is gone.

I want the catalog for cuurent logs will be saved on the Destenation device, how do i do that?

By design, all catalogs are kept in a single directory which by default isthe Catalog directory under the BE installation directory.  If you change the path of the Catalog directory to point to your destination device then the catalogs for all jobs will go to your destination drive and it must be online when BE runs a job.

3. When the destnation device is full, is it possible to auto-delete old incrementals, so i will have backups

Definitely, if you set your Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) correctly, BE will override the .bkf that has become overwriteable after their OPP expires.

Yair_Glikman
Level 4

PKH, I think you didnt understand question Number2.

1. I have created a Job in Backup exec to backup some folder incrementally with(archive bit option) to the removable device.

2. I launched the job, and it did the backup

3. I have deleted the data manually from the removable disk.

4. I have launched the backup job again, and i expected it to have backup the data all over again

The Job launched, but it didnt backup it all over again <--- how to do this?

Another question,

In case i restore the BKF manully(the catalog is lost) , does true image restore option, have any effect on this type of restore ? because i wonder if to buy it or not. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

3. I have deleted the data manually from the removable disk.

Did you delete the .bkf file? or the entire B2D folder?  In either case, these are the destination files and BE will not recreate them.  When you do another backup, BE will just backup whatever it is suppose to back up to another .bkf file.

I don't understand your new question.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Because the data hasn't changed, the archive bit is not reset, thus there is NOTHING for BE to backup again.  Just because you deleted the backup files, doesn't mean BE is going to backup all the data again.  You're using the archive bit, so this is by design!

Additionally, stop manually deleting the backup data.  Set proper overwrite or append periods and let BE manage it all.  This way the catalogs are kept accurate for your restore selection lists.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would STRONGLY suggest that you read the Admin Guide to familiarise yourself with backup concepts.  Pay particular attention to the Preparing for Backup and Backing Up Data chapters.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

At this moment as you have deleted the .BKF files the only way to fully protect the system is to take a Full backup first and  then continue with the Incremental backups as per your choice.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you can recatalog the *.bkf which will add that data back into the DB!!! No need to use NTbackup unless you really have too...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The OP  can also set Catalog Truncation to say 30 or 60 days

When the catalog is truncated, the header for the media and it's OPP and APP are maintained, but all the detailed data is deleted

Before restoring from a truncated backp, the media must be re-cataloged (no need for inventory)