cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC keeps Failing (2010)

m_richter
Level 2

Hello everybody,

we're using Symantec Backup EXEC 2010 in about 7 different countries. On all remote destinations there are huge problems with failing backups. The error messages after about 50gb of backing up (sometimes more) are:

Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

Storage device "HP 0001" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

Normally I'd say there is something with the tape station. Maybe with the connection to the tape station. But the strange thing is, that sometimes the backup is working without any problem but most of the time I'll receive this error. And in addition if the tape station will be broken, I'd say the backup wouldn't even start.

I'v already tryed a lot of stuff to border the problem. There are a lot of KB articles, like deleting the tape drive, restart services, taking symantec or HP tape drive drivers and so on, but nothing will work on it.  

A little more specific hardware details:

• There is an ESXi 4.x on site with several servers in the virtualisation. The Backup Server is virtualized! (could this be the Problem?) - Server is a HP DL380 G7
  • Backup EXEC 2010 R3 / Windows 2008 R2
  • HP Ultrium 3-LTO drive SCSI

Are there any more Ideas? I'm a bit frustrated at the moment :( Feel free to ask for more details.

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, open up a separate query for the remote site with the physical location...

Dealing with your original query above, somewhere along the line ESXi loses connection in some way to the library causing the VM to lose it. Removing it from the host via VCenter doesn't solve it. Again, using a physical server is the best bet to get around this, especially since you cannot Vmotion the BE server at all.

No mention of official support for a VM as a backup server connecting to a library/tape drive. Check the Ideas section and add it in, but I see this as more of a VMware support issue first, with the backup vendors following suit when VMware actually do support it, if they ever do.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

Symantec don't really support a virtualized media server, so yes, it could be your issue. If you restart the ESXi host that the BE server is located on, does your error clear?

It is always recommended that you use a physical server for backups!

Thanks!

EDIT: Check the link below for further information:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

m_richter
Level 2

Hi,

well that's what I thought. The Problem still persists after a reboot of the complete host. But strange thing, sometimes it's working and sometimes not, thats why I'm wondering. If it'll never work ok but the roll the dice game looks a bit strange for me. And funny thing: there is one remote location where this setup works without any problems!

Is there any plan to official support virtualised backup servers?

Other problem on remote location where we're using a physical machine is that the Differential Backups are working like a charm but sometimes the Full backups aborting with E000FE30

Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred. Final error category: Server Errors

V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.

Regards

CraigV

OK, open up a separate query for the remote site with the physical location...

Dealing with your original query above, somewhere along the line ESXi loses connection in some way to the library causing the VM to lose it. Removing it from the host via VCenter doesn't solve it. Again, using a physical server is the best bet to get around this, especially since you cannot Vmotion the BE server at all.

No mention of official support for a VM as a backup server connecting to a library/tape drive. Check the Ideas section and add it in, but I see this as more of a VMware support issue first, with the backup vendors following suit when VMware actually do support it, if they ever do.

Thanks!