cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Error On Hyper-V - 0xa0009651

hazmat09
Level 4

Hi, has anybody had this error in Backup Exec 2012 or 2010.  Happens in our Hyper-V HA cluster environment. Only on some VM's.

The link Symantec provides has no "surprise" information regarding the problem. I'm doing some googling, but would appreciate if anyone has a resolution for this.

Thanks in advance

Job ended: Sunday, June 24, 2012 at 10:56:46 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa0009651 - A snapshot could not be created.  The most probable cause is a disk signature collision between a VHD that is assigned to the virtual machine and physical disk mounted on the Hyper-V host.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-40960-38481

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- hyperv3
V-79-40960-38481 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\HVCLUSTER.van.com\Hype... A snapshot could not be created. The most probable cause is a disk signature collision between a VHD...

Backup- hyperv1
V-79-40960-38481 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\HVCLUSTER.van.com\Hype... A snapshot could not be created. The most probable cause is a disk signature collision between a VHD...

Backup- HYPERV4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this...checked from MS -

1. Shut down the affected VMs.
  2. Run the Disk Management MMC on the host.
  3. Manually attach the all VHDs to the Hyper-V server via Disk Management MMC.
  4. If any VHDs are attached in an “offline” state, a disk signature conflict was found. To fix the conflict, right click the disk and “online” the disk manually.
  5. Once all VHD disks are attached in an “online” state, detach them one at a time.
  6. Start the VMs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this...checked from MS -

1. Shut down the affected VMs.
  2. Run the Disk Management MMC on the host.
  3. Manually attach the all VHDs to the Hyper-V server via Disk Management MMC.
  4. If any VHDs are attached in an “offline” state, a disk signature conflict was found. To fix the conflict, right click the disk and “online” the disk manually.
  5. Once all VHD disks are attached in an “online” state, detach them one at a time.
  6. Start the VMs.

hazmat09
Level 4

Worked perfectly.

Although it may not work perfect each time. You may get a boot up error "which I did" It was an easy fix though.

All my VM's that failed were ones done with Disk2VHD

Found your solution and if boot recovery fails here - http://www.mcbsys.com/techblog/2010/09/windows-server-backup-vss-failure-backing-up-guest-vm/

After process, if boot up fails, run this.

Boot from OS install disk

Select next after making sure the language options are correct.

Select Repair option

Select CMD

CD into recovery 

Type Dir

Run the StartRep.exe command in the list. 

Once I did that, I was able to backup the affected VM