cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Errors: Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.

daceo
Level 3
I recently inhereted a workgroup network running Backup Exec 9.1 on Windows 2003 Server SE SP1.

I'm currently backing up the local server plus 3 other servers on the same local network.
The Backup Exec Remote Agent has been installed on all servers and is running as a local system account.
I'm able to browse out to the local drives when selecting directories to back up without problem.

I can ping all IPs and server names over port 10000.
The System Login Account credentials are correct.
I've re-installed the BE Remote Agent several times.

2 of the remote servers are backing up successfully.
The local server and one of the remote servers fail with the following errors:

Final error: 0xa000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server.
Final error category: Security Errors
Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.

A test run fails with the following errors on the same servers:

Final error: 0xa0008703 - Job failed running its test run. See logfile for details.
Final error category: Job Errors
Check status : Error: a000846b, The job failed with the following error:
Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Remote Agent for Windows Servers.
Make sure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target computer.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated - Thank You!
10 REPLIES 10

daceo
Level 3
I'm running Version 9.1 Rev. 4691.
Is there any other information I can provide that may help with a resolution?

Thank you for your time!

daceo
Level 3
I've searched all of the forums and the knowledgebase and tried all suggestions.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

daceo
Level 3
Still receiving the "Access is denied to remote agent. Check the login account for the specified device" error on the local drives for the server on which Veritas is installed.

Oddly enough, if add the same drives to the selections list using the local IP address instead of the ServerName, the backup completes.  Pinging the server name resolves the IP Address, and there is a record in the Hosts file.

Any response at all would be helpful.

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
Please make sure that the Remote agaent service is running on the Local System account. Also you have the Remote Agent license to backup the server.

If you already have the above two then :

On Media Server and the remote servers, Go to:

HKML\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS and change the Restrict Anonymous support to 1.

Restart the Backup Exec service on all the servers.

Lemme know if it helps!!!

~Naved

Headhunter13
Level 3
I have the same errors as Daceo on two out of fourteen remote servers, the other twelve back up ok. All use the same logon account set up. This started when I set up a new backup for the all machines. So I suspect that it has to do with the setup of those two machines, both are XP Home. From the setup screen on the server I can select files to be backed-up without problem but when the backup runs it cannot connect to the remote agent for those two PC's but does that ok with the others! Baffled!

daceo
Level 3
574727337 Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately changing the Restrict Anonymous registry key did not change my back up status for last night's back up.  The Remote Agent is running as the local system account on all servers.  I believe I have the correct amount of licenses, is there any way to diffinitively verify which license is being used for which server?

Thank You!

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
Headhunter,

Did you added Backup Exec remote agent to the Firewall Exception list in Windows XP.

~Naved

Naved_Ikram
Level 4
The license can be verified by the Symantec Technical support or Symantec Sales people. This can be the issue causing the backups to fail.

~Naved

Headhunter13
Level 3
Hi Naved,
The firewalls are OFF and Port 10000 is being listened to by Beremote, so that cannot be it.
But thanks for the thought.
Headhunter

Headhunter13
Level 3
Problem was solved by Symantec tech serv.
The version of Beremote on the server was diffrent from the one on the remote. Version 0 against version 56. by reinstalling from RANT 32 with the new version 56 which must come with SP4, I  suspect, the problem went away.