cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Excec 2010 R2 server move 2003 32bit to 2008 R2 64bit with same server name

gautam1
Level 3

Hi

Old server

OS > server 2003 x86

server name : DBFFS07

Backup exec 2010 R2

new server  ( new Hardware )

OS > server 2008 R2 x64

server name : DBFFS07

Backup exec 2010 R2

How to Import Old server All info like database, catlog , media files , other setting , remote backups detail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...it's easy, and I have done it a couple of times with 100% success rate.

You'd do the following:

1. Stop the BE services on the old server including SQL and copy the Data/Catalogs folders.

2. Unplug the old server from your network.

3. Install BE 2010 R2 on the new server, name it, give it an IP address etc.

4. Patch with LiveUpdate.

5. Stop the BE services including SQL.

6. Rename the Data/Catalogs folders on the new server to .OLD (or anything else!).

7. Copy the Data/Catalogs folders to the new server & start up the BE services.

Like I said, I did this a couple  fo times with no hassles. I moved 8 HP ProLiant DL165 G5 servers from Server 2003 w/SP2 to Server 2008 R2 using BE 2010 R3 w/SP2.

Lastly, once everything checks out, consider an upgrade to BE 2010 R3 w/SP2 as this fixes a number of issues with previous versions. You can use the same license keys.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Please use the link below to do the operation considering backupexec version will remain same on both servers. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129826 2nd link show the same but ,show graphically doing it. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49757 Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that the second document only covers how to copy the BEDB.  It does not cover how to copy the catalogs which is what the user wants.

CraigV

...it's easy, and I have done it a couple of times with 100% success rate.

You'd do the following:

1. Stop the BE services on the old server including SQL and copy the Data/Catalogs folders.

2. Unplug the old server from your network.

3. Install BE 2010 R2 on the new server, name it, give it an IP address etc.

4. Patch with LiveUpdate.

5. Stop the BE services including SQL.

6. Rename the Data/Catalogs folders on the new server to .OLD (or anything else!).

7. Copy the Data/Catalogs folders to the new server & start up the BE services.

Like I said, I did this a couple  fo times with no hassles. I moved 8 HP ProLiant DL165 G5 servers from Server 2003 w/SP2 to Server 2008 R2 using BE 2010 R3 w/SP2.

Lastly, once everything checks out, consider an upgrade to BE 2010 R3 w/SP2 as this fixes a number of issues with previous versions. You can use the same license keys.

Thanks!

gautam1
Level 3

Thx for gr8 help

trired with R2 version .. but not get any data .. remove it from server now download R3 & tryning will be update soon.

CraigV

Gautam: not sure what you mean by that...

If you go the route of 2010 R3, then upgrade your current server to that first before moving it across to the new server.

THanks!

gautam1
Level 3

Dear CraigV

it's not works with server 2008 R2  Programme file .. it's works with Programme file ( x86 ) .. can you pl. tell me when u go for install it's works on 64Bit version ?

Thx for gr8 suppport.

CraigV

It does, yes. I moved from Server 2003 x32 to Server 2008 R2 x64 with no hassles!

gautam1
Level 3

Hi Support

Thx for update Due to my Mistake not seen one link sorry for the same ..

same soluction also give by you.

gautam1
Level 3

Hi suppport

one more Issue in same case to I had upgrade LTO drive also with HP LTO-4 to Dell-LTO 5 .. when go for remove drive it's ask for shift media on new drive .. click on  " Yes to All " .. afterwords @ night backup not comes with error Message " Acess Denies " does it's needs some other setting ?

3 to 4 server with Remote Agent Installed that Agent needs to change anything in server or Agent side ?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Open a new thread for the above issue.