cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exchange 2010 from same server as backup Exec 2010 Media Server

NP_in_CMH
Level 3

I have an Exchange 2010 server and Backup Exec 2010 installed on a single MS 2008 R2 Enterprise server (the actual tape drive is also connected to this server).  I want to backup up Exchange and some local files.  I have BE2010 and the Exchange Agent – however I have an NFR copy and Symantec will not help me at all – not even on a pay per incident basis.

The only Exchange components that appear to backup are the Public Folders (and they show 0kb).

I have been told by Symantec pre-sales that I will have to install the Exchange Agent on the local media server.  However, this is not an option and I cannot find any information on how to accomplish this task.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Is there a white paper?  What am I missing?

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Install exchange agent from tools --> Install options and license keys on this media server 

Choose agent for microsoft exchange server and proceed with the installation.

Regards...

NP_in_CMH
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.  I have done that step already, explicitly choosing the Exchange Agent.  The process completes successfully, but the only installed services after completion are:

Backup Exec Agent Browser

Backup Exec Device and Media Service

Backup Exec Error Recording Service

Backup Exec Job Engine

Backup Exec Management Service

Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems (is this the same as Exchange Agent?)

Backup Exec Server

Is the Remote Agent for Windows Systems inclusive of the Exchange Agent?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No new services will get installed after the installation of additional agents. Just the existing services will get stopped and restarted.

If you are using a licensed version, you have to install license key for exchange agent on the media server. But as you are using NFR no need to enter any license. It will work as a trial.

Regards....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

In addition to installing the Exchange serial on the media server, you also need to install the Remote Agent on the Exchange server (the RAWS license is included in the Exchange license)

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please refer to these technotes:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51740

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158850

Thanks,

-Sush...