cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.0 and a Restore

Dave_Cason
Level 3

HI,  I want to do a restore but its been years - There are 8 backup jobs running and all are going to a B2D system that was setup by someone else.

When I go to the restore tab I want to recataloge all the jobs so I can find the piece of data from that perticular job I want.

How do you run a cataloge again?

Cheers'
Dave

10 REPLIES 10

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Go to media view, right click on the media and click on catalog. 

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi The best place to run the catalog will be by going to devices tab ,look for b2d and in that you will see bkf files ,so you can catalog the entire b2d folder or the required files. Edited , Also have a look at the link below, http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142684 Hope that helps. Thanks

Dave_Cason
Level 3

Hi,

Sorry, Iwas away - so I went to the job monitor and found a successful backup job from Jul 14 that I want.

That job used B2D folder 1 so then I went to Devices and found the folder caled B2D 1 and now I'm running an inventory on that folder .... is that the same as a catalog?

So what woud be the next step ?

Cheers'  Dave

Dave_Cason
Level 3

Oh yea,

I tried to follow that link but it just took me to the main website page.

Cheers'  Dave

VJware
Level 6

Inventory & catalogs are two different operations...p.s. - if the above links redirect you to the main page, just enter the article id (for egs TECH142684) in the search bar ..

Dave_Cason
Level 3

So the inventory ran but there's no change to the stuff in the restore pane.

Here is the job log:

Job name            : 2. Home Drive Share
Job type            : Backup
Job status          : Successful
Job log             : 
Server name         : MOM1
Selection list name : H_DRIVE
Device name         : Backup-to-Disk Folder 1
Target name         : Backup-to-Disk Folder 1
Media set name      : Media Set 1

Job Summary Information
Original start time : Saturday, July 07, 2012 12:00:00 AM
Job started         : Saturday, July 14, 2012 12:00:01 AM
Job ended           : Saturday, July 14, 2012 2:19:42 AM
Elapsed time        : 02:19:41
Files               : 280,648
Directories         : 26,531
Skipped files       : 0
Corrupt files       : 0
Files in use        : 0
Byte count          : 354,082,939,242 bytes
Job rate            : 2,727.00 MB/Min (Byte count divided by Elapsed time for job)

So when I go to the restore pane - I don't see that date listed.  Obviously I'm doing something worng.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers'
Dave

VJware
Level 6

Apart from inventory, have you ran a catalog operation as well ?

Also, in the restore selections window, ensure 'beginning backup date' and 'ending backup date' are not checked...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You don't have to do any inventory or catalog jobs if it is a recent job and the data is not ovewritten.  Go to the Job Setup tab and create a new restore job.  In the selection list screen, for your server, you would see a bunch of backups.  Expand the one that you want and select the files/folders to restore.  See the screenshot below (View by Resource)

Make sure the Beginning Backup Date is either unchecked or go back far enough to encompass the backup that you want.

Dave_Cason
Level 3

Well when I try the restore tab I don't see any of the compleated jobs - so I'm starting to wonder if the backups are OK.  How can I go find that job that I posted earlier?

I want to run a catalog and try to find the data from that compleated job log that I posted above - the date again is - Sat July 14.

I don't know how to run a catalog .....  - how do I do that ?

Cheers'
Dave

Dave_Cason
Level 3

OK, I opened my BKUPEXEC 10.0 I clicked on the Restore tab .... then selections ...then the All Resources window .... in there I drilled down to the name of the server that has the backup I want by clicking on the +'s.....

This is the server called MOM1 and it has our users "Home" drives and the users "Finance" drive on it on the E:\ drive..

Under the MOM icon when I open it I see the E:\ drive that has the data on it and then two dates and two backup jobs that say Finance which is fine becasue there IS a job called that.  Here's one ...

8/25/2012 - 12:19:22 PM - Snapshot Full - B2D002886 - Set 151 - Finance Share

However I DON'T see anything in that same window that shoudl have the "Home" job on it and yet the job monitor tab shows the job succesfuly running and compleating! 

Job name            : 2. Home Drive Share
Job type            : Backup
Job status          : Successful
Job log             : C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_MOM1_07508.xml
Server name         : MOM1
Selection list name : H_DRIVE
Device name         : Backup-to-Disk Folder 1
Target name         : Backup-to-Disk Folder 1
Media set name      : Media Set 1

Job Summary Information
Original start time : Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:00:00 AM
Job started         : Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:00:04 AM
Job ended           : Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:12:36 AM
Elapsed time        : 02:12:32
Files               : 283,749
Directories         : 26,757
Skipped files       : 0
Corrupt files       : 0
Files in use        : 0
Byte count          : 354,891,078,510 bytes
Job rate            : 2,920.00 MB/Min (Byte count divided by Elapsed time for job)

Do you guys think my backups are working ?  Again I don't remember how to do a catalog on B2D system and espec in version 10.0 Rev 5520

Cheers'

Dave