cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.00 and The block size being used is incorrect Error.

Jason_Montgom1
Level 2
We have a NFR Copy of Backup Exec version 10.00 Rev 5520 with Service Pack 1 Applied.

I get the Following Error when trying any operation to write data to tape. I can Run inventory fine!!.

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f3 - The block size being used is incorrect.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34035

I have looked at other posts in this forum and also run through the Document ID 190750.
I have also checked the Microsoft Support article for Event ID errors 9,11,15

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154690

Which I don't have because RSM service has been disabled for ages.
This recent error came about after application of Service Pack 1. I didn't have any errors prior to application of the service pack. I have downloaded and Installed Latest drivers for Veritas package. I have latest firmware for the Tape IBM Unit and have run diagnostics for the hardware with no errors found.
Windows 2003 Advanced Server can see the Tape Drive.

I have also perfomed a repair operation.

Any new ideas other that what has already been posted and whats in the articles provided would be a fantastic help as we havn't had a successfull backup for a while.
7 REPLIES 7

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi Jason,

As you have tried everything, could you please tell us, which tape drive are you using? what is the name of the tape drive? So that we can check in HCL whether the device configuration that you are using is supported.

You can refer to the following HCL link.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/281669.htm

If the device is not listed in this list you have to install OEM drivers.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Jason_Montgom1
Level 2
Hi Shraddha

I have checked the HCL as you requested. This is the Unit I have
{DDS Gen5 (P/N 71P9145) IBM^^^^^DDS^GEN5}

As you can see it is definitely supported.

I am currently using the 04mmdat.sys Driver provided by Veritas Date 02/04/2004.
Version 5.1. Not digitally Signed.

Please advise if there is any further information you require to resolve this issue.

Thanks

JM

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the lastest drivers for BE 10.0 5520:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278408

Than ks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jason_Montgom1
Level 2
I have already run this installer previously I ran it again twice and no change to the current driver in use for the IBM tape drive. I previously posted these details.
dated 02/04/2004 version 5.1. The installer says it has successfully updated drivers.

BackupExecTapeDeviceDriverInstall20051015_279944.exe

Please advise what to do to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Jason

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Go to services and make sure that the Removable storage services is not running if it is running disable it

The error can usually be resolved by either erasing the media before running the backup.
You may perform the erase operation using Backup Exec v9.x/10.x.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jason_Montgom1
Level 2
Hi

As I stated in my first post RSM is disabled and has been for quite a while.
I have tried formating tapes which i can do without issue. Then running the backup.
This results in the error as well.

Anything else you can suggest.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Jason,

Refer to the following document:

An error message: "When accessing a new tape of a multi-volume partition, the current block size is incorrect" is displayed when performing an erase media operation.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/190750

Hope this helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.