cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.1 suddenly stopped emailing reports

ssladmin
Not applicable

We,ve had backup exec 10.1 happily emailing out notifications to 3 different email addresses for well over a year now without problems. But last week it suddenly stopped working. Ive tried using different smtp servers (it used to use their exchange server) but it still fails to send even test emails. I have uninstalled be 10 and reinstalled it and it still refuses to send out emails. Nothing that i know of has changed on the server itself!

Any help please?

2 REPLIES 2

Yung_Bach
Level 3
Is port 25 blocked on that server?

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I would start by testing at a command prompt, because if that does not work, then you have to fix that. Do the following at a command prompt on the server (minus my comments in parenthesis):

telnet server.domain.com 25 (If you get a time-out here, port 25 is blocked somehow)

EHLO yourdomain.com

MAIL FROM:<YourAddress@YourDomain.com>

RCPT TO:<TestAddress@domain.com>

data

Subject: test message

This is a test message you will not see a response from this command.

(Note this last period is necessary as it ends the message and sends it.)

If this works, then try changing the recipeint address to a Hotmail address and try that. I have seen the defaults on Exchange SPAM filters drop these BE e-mails, but they have worked to Hotmail addresses. If this works, then you have an Exchange issue. My gut tells me that this has nothing to do with BE, but the e-mail systems involved.

In any case, I would prefer to use my ISP's SMTP server rather than my Exchange server so I don't have to allow any relaying at all. They also normally do not require any authentication, rather they rely on assuming you are ok based on being on their overall network IP scheme.

Message Edited by Kevin Cotreau on 12-28-2008 06:17 PM
Message Edited by Kevin Cotreau on 12-28-2008 06:19 PM