cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 d Advanced Open File option

Nermeen
Level 4
Dear All,
                I am currently working with Backup exec 10d and I have the Advanced Open File option,my question is can i use this option to backup sql 2000 databases (*.mdf and *.ldf).

I tried the backup job this way and it gave me successful result but the size was very small cant be compared to the original files size and when i tried to restore files from this backup i couldn find the files at all.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

tech29
Level 6
HI there,

Symantec does not recommend to use AOFO for backing up databases like SQL and Exchange.

REgards,
Tech29

Dev_T
Level 6

As tech29 said...Snapshot based backups are not recomended on databases such as SQL, exchange etc....I would recomend you to backup SQL without AOFO and the rest of the server with AOFO in 2 seperate jobs....

hope this helps.....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
In addition to AOFO not being recommended for ANY database backups, v10d also uses what Veritas/Symantec call Active File Exclusion, where certain types of database files will be skipped with no notification of this in the job log

if for some reason you want to do a flat-file backup of Exchange/MSSQL/Notes/Oracle see
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is highly recommended that you use the BE SQL Agent to backup SQL databases.  This method gives you full restore capability.  If for some reason, you cannot use the BE SQL Agent, then it would be better to backup the SQL databases using the built-in backup capability of SQL and then backup the resultant files using BE.