cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10.x crashes 2k3 server when verify starts.

Steve_Walker
Level 3
I have a customer that recently started having a strange but significantly troublesome problem. The problem began when the installation of 10.0 license expired and I installed the license proper for the software. Prior to the license expiring the backups were perfect. Since the license change the backups crash the server, after several days of troubleshooting, only when the verify starts.

Server 2k3 is an Intel dual Xeon
2GB Ram
The Tape library is a Certance LTO-3 8 tape robot.
The current size of the backup is ~1.5TB or 4 tapes

I have uninstalled Backup Exec and reinstalled.
I have installed Backup Exec 10.1(d)

I tested a smaller backup of 10GB this worked fine with verify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
I have changed the Certance, as coincidently was getting a robotic
12 REPLIES 12

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Can you perform a test restore of a file successfully?

What does the System Event Log Say?

Steve_Walker
Level 3
Bad thing is there are no events logged except for the message that the last server shutdown was not scheduled.

When the verify starts, the server freezes, no activity at all. Of course, it is very difficult to be infront of the server during the backup, ~12 hrs, so watching the screen is a non-starter.

If I backup, as stated earlier, a smaller subset of the overall backup, say 12GB, that will backup and verify fine. The problem is a large backup >1.5TB.

Cheers

Steve

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Try taking a backup to disk and check if it gives the same problem. Could you elaborate on what happens when you say that the server crashes? Does it reboot?
Check if the backup exec services stop. What is the size of the backup job?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Steve_Walker
Level 3
The server just freezes, mid verify. The mouse screen is not responsive. Reset does not work so the server has to be manually shutdown. There are no event log events at all except for the one that is logged when the server boots when it is turned back on.

I have not tryied disk to disk as there may not be enough disk space on any one partition to hold the >1.5TB of backup.

The Certance tape library was changed, as I originally thought this was the probelm. It displayed an error on it's front display that there was an internal robot error.

I have uninstalled Veritas 10, reinstalled 10.0 and now installed 10.1(d)

The Services do not stop when this happens.

Backups are fine without verify turned on.

Steve

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Is the tape device sharing a SCSI bus with the servers' Raid controller, or does it have a dedicated SCSI HBA?

Steve_Walker
Level 3
Deddicated SCSI controller. Drivers up to date too.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the late response.

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.

Al_Fricano
Level 2
I am having the same issue with SBS 2k3 and exabyte VXA-2 drive. how did you resolve this issue?

any ifno would be appreciated.

Thanks - Al

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Steve,

Could you Update us on the Issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.

Thanks.

Jun_Qin
Level 2
I have a customer with the same issue. Backup runs fine until verify starts when the media server freezes up and reboots. No applicable or useful entry in the system or application event logs.

BE Log reports "Error code: e0008821: Job was recovered as a result of Backup Exec RPC service starting...". This points to issue with lotus domino server backup issue and I am not backing up a lotus domino server

server 2k3 , Backup Exec. 10.1(d) sp1 with latest device driver and firmware
IBM Ult 3580-TD3 Standalone LTO Tape drive

By the way, I've already gone through Veritas Tech Support a few times without any luck. we also worked with IBM on possible HW issues, however, that path has pretty much been exhausted.

I see similar posts in the forum on this issue and hopefully someone will shed some light on this.

Steve... any new update that you're able to divulge on your end... Appreciated

Beng_Yang_Ang
Level 3
Hi guys,

I have similar issues as Jun Qin.

Hardware Specs:
IBM xSeries 336
IBM TotalStorage 3582 Tape Library with 2 drives

Software Specs:
Win2K3 Std Edition
Backup Exec 10d SP1 (patched to latest)

Currently still troubleshooting with Veritas Tech Support and waiting for IBM to replace the system board.

:(

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Steve,
Could you Update us on the issue please?

Jun,

We would appreciate if you could open a new Therad for your Problem. Considering your environment could be totaly different from that of Steves.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.