cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d & 11d & Vista

Mike_Taggart
Level 3
When will both 10d and 11d be compatable with Vista so that we can installed the Remote Admin utility on pc's?

Mike
13 REPLIES 13

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It is not expected that the current versions of 10d and 11d will support Vista at all.

The expectation is that Vista will be supported with future releases.

Mike_Taggart
Level 3
That's ridiculous! How are we supposed to use the Remote Admin Tool if Symantec won't make 10d or (the newely release version of) 11d compatable with Vista?

Is Symantec just trying really hard to lose more customers with each passing day? First it was that awful deployment of 11d, then it was that horrendous deployment of 11d's licensing fubar and now this ... why is it Symantec won't do something right for it's customers?

Regards,

Mike

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Perry -

I can understand that a v10 or v11 media server will not install on a new OS, but surely the Remote Admin should be written as a standard 32-Bit client/server app that sends a query or command to the media server and then displays the result?

Or assuming that it is offered on Vista, be able to install and run in W2K comptibiity mode?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Mike_Taggart
Level 3
Has anyone found out whether or not there will be an update to 10d and 11d to support Vista for the Remote Admin Tool?

MIke

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I think it is best to stay on win 2003 or 2000. The bugs have not been shaken out of Vista yet. I use remote admin to access my win 2000 and win 2003 boxes without to many problems. The latest releases did not go real smooth, part of that was because of the merger between the two companies. Symantec is bringing the product back up to standard. I still think the Backup Exec and Netbackup are better choices than what is available else where.

Mike_Taggart
Level 3
What I've done in the short term is installed VMWare Workstation to run these, but this doesn't make it right. Vista's already installed and I don't want to go through that again. :) I just want to get my money's worth out of the Support we pay for.

Mike

Adam_Borders
Level 2
I am currently running the Admin console on Vista. I do get a prompt every time I start the console about compatability issues but I have not seen any issues.

Adam

Mike_Taggart
Level 3
Adam,

When you first installed it and Vista prompts you that it's not a compatable program - how did you get around it?

Mike

David_McColloug
Level 3
Perry:

So is there a time frame as to when we will be able to backup Vista computers ?

I don't want to have my media server be a vista computer.

But we are starting to get some computers with Vista in our company and I would like to be able to install an agent on them and back them up.

Thanks

David M. McCollough

Tony_Jolley
Level 3
I would also like to know when a Vista agent will be available. Can you give us at least an idea?

Mike_Taggart
Level 3
So I guess the Symantec employees are just ignoring peoples questions regarding Vista - that or they were unorganized once again and don't have a solution in place.

May be time to start looking at another alternative solution for backups.

oracle_8202
Level 4
I was happy with Backup Exec 10 from Veritas. I have had nothing but troubles with 11d from Symantec. I was very sad when I heard about the merger. I have used several Symantec products in the past (both business and personal) and have always been disappointed. My company pays quite a large sum for support contracts from symantec for Backup Exec and our employees are still left on hold for hours with problems that sometimes take months to resolve. 11d is the last symantec product we have and I doubt we will purchase anymore. We will probably start looking for backup alternatives also.

Tony_Jolley
Level 3
I'd rather they posted an "I don't know" instead of simply ignoring us.