cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d Crashing Exchange Server 2003 (Until Reboot) [Error 0xfffffdd0, Event IDs: 206, 9611, 2002, 2007]

JTatum_Rostra
Level 2
Situation:

We've been experiencing problems as our server does an incremental backup at night. We have Backup Exec. 10d installed and have the Exchange agent running. Our backups have worked great for well over a year. Now it suddenly crashes when backing up. We have applied the newest Service Pack available for Exchange Server 2003, which was Service Pack 2. I have logged the information below for further detail. Also, we have applied the patches for VSS fixes, but still no luck. We have rebooted our Exchange Server and after a reboot it works fine until the backup is ran again.

Configuration/Setup:
Exchange Server:
Windows Server 2003 w/ SP2
Microsoft Exchange 2003 w/ SP2

Data/Backup Exec. Server:
Windows Server 2003 w/ SP2
Symantec Backup Exec. 10d
AOFO Option: disabled/unchecked

Patches/Fixes Applied:
Hotfix KB930197 for Exchange Server 2003
Service Pack 2 for Exchange Server 2003

These following patches do not install as I receive an error stating they're already installed:
267384_ENU_i386_zip
217902_ENU_i386_zip
171620_ENU_i386_zip

Errors Logged in Event Viewer (Application Section) [4 Errors]:
First Error:
Source: ESE
Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 206

Description:
Information Store (4728) First Storage Group: Database D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb cannot be incrementally backed-up. You must first perform a full backup before performing and incremental backup.

Second Error:
Source: MSExchangeIS
Category: Exchange VSS Writer
Event ID: 9611

Description:
Error code 0xfffffdd0 when freezing the Storage groups.

Third Error:
Category: ShadowCopy
Event ID: 2002

Description:
Information Store (4728) Shadow copy instance 1 encountered error -560 on freeze.

Fourth Error:
Category: ShadowCopy
Event ID: 2007

Description:
Information Store (4728) Shadow copy instance 1 aborted.

Continued Description:
Our problem started on Monday, August 30, 2010. We have our backups set to run at 9:00PM, as we changed it from 11:00PM on September 1, 2010. The Exchange Server will work fine after it's rebooted. The services start properly and no errors. We do not use the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) in Backup Exec. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

this issue is caused ideally when you have tthe AOFO option selected,but still BE depends on the VSS to backup the online exchange db.
Try recreating the Job . Make sure you are not backing up the information store using some other backup application i.e NT backup as well .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Also set the Vss service to automatic .And update the server with all the vss patches

JTatum_Rostra
Level 2

Thanks for the response. I will be sure to give this a shot. The only service I could really find that seemed to have anything to do with VSS was the Volume Shadow Copy service. I have set this to automatic and I have started the service. Our backup will run an incremental backup tonight so we'll see if it does the trick. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

BTW: I'm 99% sure that I've got all the updates installed that are available for the VSS service.

JTatum_Rostra
Level 2

Also, just found this service hiding in the Services management window: Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider

I have set this to automatic and started the service. I'll go back through the list again, but I believe that should do it. Please let me know if I miss anything. Thanks.

JTatum_Rostra
Level 2
Well, the backups kicked off last night and it failed once again while still crashing Microsoft Exchange. Had to restart the system and as usual it started correctly. I checked the services after receiving the same errors (as in first post) and the services that I had started and set to "Automatic" had been stopped. Our backup schedule is set to do Incremental Backups Monday - Thursday and Full Backups Friday night. Our Full Backup takes anywhere from 12-20hrs. Any ideas? Thanks.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Well it seems some issue with Vss as it gets freezed during the backup, make sure not other application is backup ur exchange other than Backup Exec .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee