Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d Job log not displaying

clowers
Level 3
Partner
Hi

On Backup Exec 10d rev 5629 with service pack 4 installed.  The job log will not display as below. 

backup log.jpg

I have reinstalled msxml 4 and 6 cleared the logs etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please go the Symantec KB:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254079

clowers
Level 3
Partner
Thanks for replying Dev but I have already gone through that KB article and this has not resolved the issue. 

Anyone else know what else to try?  Before i have to go through reinstalling Backup Exec.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
The job log formatting and final layout (so completing the XML codeing) is created at the end of the backup process - therefor if something is killing a BE process before things fully complete this can happen even though the backup has completed - are thw Windows Event logs (application and System) showing anything odd around the time the backup ends? if nothing obvious would suggest that your re-install (with protecting your current databsase and catalogs) might be the best option.

clowers
Level 3
Partner
Ok thanks Colin, i'll just reinstall then.

clowers
Level 3
Partner

I completely removed all trace of Backup Exec.  Rebooted a few times.  Installed Backup Exec again.  Recreated the jobs from scratch and this is still occurring.  The XML service packs have been installed previously.

anyone have anymore ideas?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Most probably, the size of the log file is quite large to be converted in XML format.  You might want to review the log in text to see whats causing the large size. As a workaround, you could try configuring non-detailed job logs.

Edward_Charles
Level 6

Hey Guys,

We have this same problem and we still haven't found a resolution to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Every job now "fails" and we can't see properly why.

We already have set the Job Logs to show Summary information only as it defaults to this setting so it's probably not related to that.

Thanks

Paul

clowers
Level 3
Partner
Thanks VJ, i'll try that.  

DeTolk
Level 3
Same problem here, al the mentioned solutions didn't work.

Maybe a re-install is the best/only option.

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Hi DeTolk,

Wow, how come nobody has a solution for this?? I've started my own post as well but also still no results.
You can try a re-install (can't hurt I guess as long as we don't loose all the settings & jobs) but I've read posts that they tried that as well and it made no difference.
Might be related to the Windows server itself maybe that can't display it properly?

Please update this post if a working solution has been found.

Thanks

clowers
Level 3
Partner

As per Edward charles log this still isn't working for me.  The log is set to "Summary information only".  I have completely reinstalled without any success. 

Anyone got any other ideas?

clowers
Level 3
Partner
The log is only around 29kb and i cannot see what would be causing that.  I still need to resolve this any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edward_Charles
Level 6
Is there still no solution found for this problem???

Thanks

Regards,

puterijawa
Level 3

Try apply a Backup Exec update, Service Pack 4, from Symantec and also install Windows update. (when do Windows uptdate, must include the XML update)

clowers
Level 3
Partner

Sorry but i didn't mention service pack 4 is insstalled for Backup Exec.  All the latest Windows updates are installed. 

I think the following part may be causing the problems with the logs

WARNING: "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\䅁4F8EED7464F44C1036A4EE52F6776B344BF99724333ABBBA" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\䅁E4B41E7464F44C10474F138DBADA5FC4D991F00FE0F0EB10" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Obviously this isn't on the selection list so i cannot exclude it. 

Has anyone got any ideas.  If we could remove this then i think it may work.

clowers
Level 3
Partner

Another update...

I have disabled the "enable single instance..." on exchange which then gave me two corrupt emails.  I removed these from the job but am still getting the same message.

This is driving me insane...

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

this may be helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278636

Edward_Charles
Level 6
THanks Dev T.

Is this then finally the answer to what so many people have been looking for?

Has anyone run this MS Fix it thing and has it resolved your issue?

I am a bit hesitant to run it on our server but might have no choice as there isn't any other solution that we know of.

Thanks

Regards,