cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10d & SBS2008 64 Bit

Sagari
Level 2
Hi, I am new to this forum but have a challenge which I hope someone can help me with. I have asked Symantec tech support and tried email support but have been directed to the forum as the only way to get support with the version of Backup Exec 10d (10.1 Rev 5629 to be exact. The tape drive is an HP Ultrium 2 - Scsi LTO.

I tried to install this version on the new server Windows SBS 2008 Std but it refused to install as it detected a 64 bit operating system.

My questions

Can this version be made to work on SBS2008?

If not what version of Backup Exec will work on SBS2008 and be able to restore from the existing backup tapes? (and use the current LTO tape drive)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Tim

9 REPLIES 9

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Backup Exec 10d Doesn't support Windows 2008.  You would need to upgrade to Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows 2008 SBS support.  Please look at the link below for information regarding the support of you tape drive and yes you would be able to restore from tapes used with previous versions.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/306831

Sagari
Level 2
Thanks, I found this out the hardway. The tape restore from previous versions is useful.

httsc
Level 2
I have BackupExec 10D and one of my servers was backing up fine when it was W2K Server. However, I upgraded it to W2K3 Server and ever since have been receiving the above message. However, I do have other W2K3 Servers that I am backing up fine within the same job. Any ideas? Thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you tried removeing and re-installing the Agent?

httsc
Level 2
That was my first thought as well and I was attempting to try that. However, when I clicked on Install Agents from within BackupExec nothing happened; no error, no window comes up - nada. However, the backups seem to be running fine. Once I encountered this I was a little hesitant to remove the agent from the problem server.

moticha
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Good morning ,
I am new to BackupExec . I have just installed it to the server, my question is that how can I deploy it to the users machine through remote installation ? How can I run daily backup for the clients machines ?

Thanks for your help in advance .

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
 Hi moticha,

First of all, I would suggest you to upgrade to 12.5 version since it is the newer release.
Either way, here are the steps for the backup:

0. Add the appropriate licenses to the Backup Exec Media Server.
Go to tools --> Install Options... --> Enter the licenses you have bought.
   1. Install the agents to the remote computers
Go to tools --> Install Agents.... --> enter the appropriate information (IP, Domain, Username and password) and this will install the agent to the remote computers you want. If you DO NOT have an 2000 server, you DO NOT need to select the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO).
   2. After the successful Installation, go to the Job Setup and create a new Job.
Select the servers/workstations you want to backup, enter the appropriate credentials if requested, and at the end schedule the backup to run every day.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

panyor
Level 3
Hi Guys

i need advice whether SBE 10d supports Win2003 Server 64bit?

is HP LTO3 Autoloader 1/8 compatible with SBE 10d? i can make it install, can point me where i can get the guidlines on how to install autoloader in SBE 10d? previously i was using LTO1 1/8 but now spoilt.

thank you in advance
Panyor

panyor
Level 3