cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11 Ver 7101 - Is everyone satisfied with this product?

ESabo
Level 6

I really don’t like complaining but it seems like every day, I get at least 5 or more backup jobs failed out of 40 servers.   I spend at least 1 hour of my working day restarting the backupexec services or doing a vssadmin list writers to try and determine why or how the job failed.    When I contact Symantec support they usually point the finger to Microsoft, then when you open a call with Microsoft they point the blame right back to Symantec.  

Is it me but all I want BackupExec is to backup my systems.    We have been a BackupExec customer since version 8 but I am really thinking about trying to find another backup solution.

If I switch to a different software will I get the same types of problems.  

I understand with IT, it is always changing but it puts the customer in a tough position when two vendors don’t seems to work out problems with their software.   

[Edit: fixed font]

Message Edited by LakeRat on 11-13-2007 11:39 AM
36 REPLIES 36

ESabo
Level 6
Day # 3

ESabo
Level 6
Day # 3
     We had no failures last night.    I think this was only the fourth time in the last 60 days.   

I just don't understand why symantec does not look at this forum and fixes a couple of their bugs.   Forums are a great tool for many companies.      Microsoft monitors their newsgroups to make their products better.

ITRunner
Level 3
Finally got my smaller site here backing up relatively free of errors and then installed the Advanced Open File Option licence that I'd been waiting on.  Installing and running AOFO was like shooting Backup Exec 11d in the head.  Now i'm back to 3 out of 5 backups failing because it can't find files etc, and i'm not talking about a file here and a file there, i'm talking about entire server drives!

"Directory \\xSQLservername\d:\ was not found, or could not be accessed.  Yeah -  Minor thing that not having an off-site backup of our SQL databases...  This is after rebuilding the backup Policy completely, as well as rebuilding the selection list twice!  I've even verified that the agent on the SQL server has been running so that's not the issue.  Its just one thing after another.  Random files / folders, sometimes they backup, sometimes they don't.

I'll be asking for a full refund on the upgrade price soon, and that at the very least.

Not impressed in the slightest.

HINETASM
Level 2
We upgraded from 10d to 11d and it was working flawlessly until we started using it against Wndows 2003 R2 DFRS and Exchange 2007, which are our largest & most critical data sets. Since then I have not had a week go by without some often recurring failure, remmedied by the next HF, but followed by more problems.

I am sorely disappointed in the product.

ESabo
Level 6
This weekend had once again lots of failures to deal with this morning.  

ITRunner
Level 3
More faiilures on last night's backups, never seen these error messages before.  I'm really getting tired of this.

Ford
Level 3
I believe this kind of post caming out, must be a lots of bad comments showed out as human are always complaining more than compliment.

I admit Symantec strong in Antivirus protection but after i use the Backup application.
I have to stand on the their side to voice out our comment,
I facing installation at the start up and hardly get help from symantec support, i believe symantec employee not using phone during work, i never ever able reach them unless listening on the ringtone that is so "lovely and lonely".

I am not blaming support technical staff from Symantec as this application is not build by them.
I face few problem and i am tired to report.

My backup were succeed but my restore were still have BUG, who is going to solved?

I upgraded my backup exec version to 7170 and updated all service pack & hotfixes available from liveupdate and had performed hotfixes 14 which target the problem.

But my restore still have the attachement problem.

Backup is important... but restore actually is the crucial.
If the backup application could not restore the file perfectly, then what for spending money to backup?
Giving a fake hope to our customer and let them blaming us later on?

Symantec may think this as not important but when the problem comes up, we have to stay late to resolved it no matter with or without backup.

So, who should be blame?

Do not sell a product is not READY !

ESabo
Level 6
The reason for my post is to shed light on my many problems with using BackupExec in my environment.    Now last night still had about 3 failures.   Maybe if we keep this post going Symantec will take this back to the product control manager for BackupExec and use this to fix all their problems and make a solution that will work for backup.    I don't mean to complain but it is to the point of frustation.    I spend more time on re-running and monitoring backup then I do on applying security patches and doing upgrade on vairous system.    Backup Software should just work.   

As for Technical support, I go to this forum first and I really hate to open up support calls with symantec because I know the song and dance they will give me, 2 hours of collecting all data from your server, then waiting for 1-2 days until someone calls me back - then only to find out that their software is working and it must be something else in my environment cause the problem.

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
notice there has been very little if any response from symantec about most all of these very prominant re-occurring issues? I bet you a hundred to one says thats symantec just goes ahead and releases a new version like 12d that fixes most of these existing issues and makes customers pay full price for an upgrade and most if not all of these existing bugs and problems remain unfixed for version 11d.

mark my words...it is something symantec would do. why else have bugs and errors since release over a year ago not been corrected yet?

ESabo
Level 6
Does this link work?

Is this where one can go to request a formal request about the product?   It will not pull any products down?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The link displays a page for me, asks me to select a product from a dropdown menu that is empty.  If you click on "continue" anyway, it **bleep**es that did not make a selection

Sounds like a typical Symantec programming effort to me.  Remember how badly they screwed up the mostly intuitive and easy to use Veritas Support Site when they "merged" it into Symante Standard?

ESabo
Level 6
Glad to hear it isn't me.    I was on the licensing site yesterday and it kicked me off 3 times.   

SuzieQ
Level 2
Speaking of licensing, I got a call from another agency with "commerce" in their name, wanting me to "share" my backup exec 11d license with them.  Believe it or not, it was a legitimate concern on their part.  Symantec had messed up the licensing to the point that we have 4 different account numbers.  THEN, the next day I got an e-mail from Symantec saying that my MySupport password had been reset due to "my request" (which had not happened).  This was all related to the account numbers from Washington state and Ohio being merged.  I was very uneasy and contacted my sales rep and was told it was "no big deal" and that he would "check into it".  Needless to say I haven't heard anything back.  Ever since I have upgraded to 11d from 10d it has been hell on earth.  I dread coming to work to see what I am going to have to troubleshoot today.  I have had trouble with policies, backup selections, user authentication, and especially duplicate job issues.  How I wish we had stayed with 10d.  I have another media server that is running 10d with no problems.  I have been begging my boss to let me leave it alone and not upgrade to 11d.  So far he is pushing me to do the upgrade but one media server from hell is enough for me.  I wish we could switch to another backup solution.  If I have any input at all, we will.

The_STN_Guy
Level 4
Sorry folks - that was my mistake. That link is posted on the Backup Exec 11d forum. And I posted the wrong URL. Should be...

http://engweb.symantec.com/enhancement/

I'll fix that now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

@ESabo wrote:
Does this link work?

Is this where one can go to request a formal request about the product?   It will not pull any products down?

Message Edited by The STN Guy on 11-20-2007 09:58 AM

ESabo
Level 6
STN GUY - Still does not work - it takes you to a page - then it will not allow you to pull down the menu - You cannot select a product.

Symantec Product Feedback Please select the product:
    Select a Product

ESabo
    Level 6
    Another Failure - the error is "ran out of memory"  - known issue - must defrag the hard drive - then the backup will run for another couple of weeks until I get the error again!

Other than that it was a pretty successful night in terms of BackupExec.

Attila_Nagy
    Level 2
    I am really desperate that with 11d symantec degraded BE's quality to the buggy arcs*rve.
    In the last 2 year I was working with BE9.1 and 0(!) tickets are opened for me at symantec I haven't even called them.

I have been using BE11d for 2 months and already opened 10+ tickets because of silly bugs!! And I am upgraded to 11d sp1... can't even imagine how bad it was when it came out.