cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11D/ADIC Scalar 100 does not identify library drives

rdtinman
Level 3

I am have a problem with Backup Exec identifying library drives. There are three licensed drives installed and are identified when I run the device configuration wizard and configure robotic library drives. However, they appear as "unknown device" under robotic libraries section and I am not able to add them as devices. I am running  I windows Server 2003 standard with sp2 operation system and attached is a ADIC Scalar 100 tape library. I have install for Backup Exec sp3 and have installed both  hbe6235RHF12_32bit_286763.exe and be7170RHF16_32bit_290606.exe patches.

All had been working fine until a week ago the drives identified themselves as always "in use" and would not change status. I removed the drive with hopes of readded them after restarting server and backup hardware but they did not reappear.

Information from Backup Exec Diagnostics indicates the drives are present;

0002:0000:0000:0000  Device Name             "\\.\MediumChanger0"
                     Secondary Name          "\\.\Changer0"
                     Primary Inquiry         "ADIC    Scalar 100      3.38"
                     Serial Number           "ADIC    Scalar 100      ADIC9U0035925"
                     Device Flags            KSCSI, SN(TYPE 0), SN(ELEMENT)
                     Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1009, {DB0E8398-D7CF-4370-8216-ADE144A2F285}
                     Device Name             "ADIC 1"
                     Device Type             2131755008, "CHANGER FS=1"
                     Device Features         0x00077E7F: EMBI,EMBM,IBE,INSMC,MPTP,MDTD,MSTS,PP,PES,PT,PMA,RMP,RRD,SMCAE,SMCE,TEI
                     1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         36
                     Portal Slots            1
                     Import/Export           Robotic

Drive Element 0         0, "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     1110289865"
                     Drive Element 1         0, "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     1110302928"
                     Drive Element 2         0, "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     1110302834"

-------------------  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[2980] 06/30/11 08:45:49.176 Start Rsm Support:

[2980] 06/30/11 08:45:50.004 Device Discovery End:

[1000] 06/30/11 08:47:17.708 Update device state
        Device name : ADIC 1
        Device state: ONLINE
[3672] 06/30/11 08:47:23.333 Update device state
        Device state: ONLINE, ENABLED
[1000] 06/30/11 16:27:16.784 Update device state
        Device state: ONLINE
[2584] 06/30/11 16:32:59.046 Adamm Log Stopped!

I have went through the process of powering off and on the server and hardware several times without success. I have physically uninstalled the backup device and installed again.

Any idea of what I am missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ahh, the windows is not detecting the drives and there is no way BE will detect them unless it is detected by the OS. Please check the drives connectivy  or call your hardware vendor to fix it as it should definately show up the drives in the device manager to make it work with BE

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

sksujeet
Level 6

Click on tools - wizard - device configuration wizard and click the option to install the tape drivers. Install the drivers and finish the setup.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to uninstall all occurances of the library and the tape drives.

2) Power off both the media server and the library

3) Power up the library.

4) Power up the media server

5) In the Windows Device Manager, make sure that the library and the tape drives are functioning correctly.

6) Go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to install the library and tape drives.

rdtinman
Level 3

I have attempted both tools - wizard - device configuration wizard and using tapeinst.exe to troubleshoot this issue, especially the device configuration wizard several times, and still no luck. After running the Windows Servers Environment Check from the CDROM it found this section:

:tapeinst.exe and   BbTape Device Information
Back to top   Warning
 One or more devices on this computer are either not connected or not working. 
 Device: MediumChanger0
 This is a supportable** changer device.

Product: ADIC Scalar 100 3.383.38.0001 
Device Type: MediumChanger
First Slot: 1
Service Name: SCALAR100
Current Driver Name: N/A
Recognized by Symantec?: Yes
Symantec Driver Loaded?: Yes
SCSI Port: 2
SCSI BUS: 0
SCSI Target: 0
SCSI Lun: 0

The following devices are either not currently attached or not currently working.

ADIC Scalar 100 3.32

**"Passed" is an indication that your current hardware configuration is recognized by Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers. To ensure your device is certified for use with Symantec Backup Exec, check the Device Compatibility List on the support site here or here.

I am sure I have installed drivers few times already.

sksujeet
Level 6

As per the log it sows the scsi address for the changer but doesn't show it for any of the drives though you have 3 drives.

Please go to Tools - backup exec diagnostics and run the diagnostics. It will open a notepad, please save that file and attach that file over here.

rdtinman
Level 3

Attached is the file from the diagnostics.

sksujeet
Level 6

You are using 11d 6235

Firstly please update it to 7170 with latest Serivce pack and HF.

As per the logs the Changer(library) has the scsi bus address but none of the other drive shows the scsi
address. I suspect the issue with the drives connected in the library it self, can you please check your SCSI BUS and how your drives connected in the library.
If you run the diagnostic for the library does it detect all the drives with the scsi address?

Till 06/24/2011 it was showing all the scsi address fine though it showed some errors for scsi but after that it doesn't show the scsi addresss for the drives and I guess you started having that issue after that.

Secondary Name          "\\.\Changer0"
                     Primary Inquiry         "ADIC    Scalar 100      3.38"
                     Serial Number           "ADIC    Scalar 100      ADIC9U0035925"
                     Device Flags            KSCSI, SN(TYPE 0), SN(ELEMENT)
                     Device State            3, Online

Device IDs              1009, {B4D93964-AFAF-4FC1-A256-8A9B0330EF49}
                     Device Name             "ADIC 1"
                     Device Type             2131755008, "CHANGER FS=1"
                     Device Features         0x00077E7F: EMBI,EMBM,IBE,INSMC,MPTP,MDTD,MSTS,PP,PES,PT,PMA,RMP,RRD,SMCAE,SMCE,TEI
                     1st Slot Number         1
                     Number Of Slots         36
                     Portal Slots            1
                     Import/Export           Robotic

Drive Element 0         0, "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     1110289865"
                     Drive Element 1         0, "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     1110302928"
                     Drive Element 2         0, "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD2     1110302834"

rdtinman
Level 3

The system was updated to the latest 7170 service pack 5 and installed hotfix 70 and still no change in the devices. The library was also check to ensure the drives are connected and they are.

An attachment has also been added of what is being view during the Device Configuration. I am not sure of were to go from here outside of an complete removal and install of Back Exec attempt.

sksujeet
Level 6

In windows device manager does it show all the drives and what name it shows for the drives? If it does what driver it shows for the drives?

Have you already tried the vendor diagnostics or not yet?

rdtinman
Level 3

No. I haven't tried any diagnostics from ADIC at the moment. But I do have attached a pic of how my device manager appears. Not sure if the library drives should appear here or not.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In the screenshot I can see only the medium changer, not the tape-unit(s) itself !

Shutdown and poweroff your server, power off the library.
Wait a minute, power on the library (wait another minute to let it boot).
Then turn on the server, and watch the screen at bootup and see if the SCSI adapter finds the tape-unit(s) and the library.

rdtinman
Level 3

I have performed the shutdown of server and library several time and the adapter find the unit but no mention of the library itself. If I recall correctly, but isn't the unit only device detected on the SCSI bus during bootup?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I cannot say it for the library you are using, but I know for some HP libraries that during the boot you can see several devices, 1 for the library itself, and 1 for each connected tape unit. All with an unique SCSI ID.

I think it is time to call your supplier for an hardware device inspection/repair.

sksujeet
Level 6

Ahh, the windows is not detecting the drives and there is no way BE will detect them unless it is detected by the OS. Please check the drives connectivy  or call your hardware vendor to fix it as it should definately show up the drives in the device manager to make it work with BE

rdtinman
Level 3

After checking the SCSI cables on back of the Scalar there was a cable that was not fully connected and had to be reseated. The drive are now appearing in the device manager and are functional. Thanks for the replies.