cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11D and Sharepoint Backup with agent

MacLEOD
Level 4

We have the BackupExec 11d (11.0.7170.32) Server running.

We have got a Windows Sharepoint Server 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003R2 Server.

We have the MS SQL Agent and the Sharepoint Agents instaleed for the BackupExec.

I can see the Sharepoint Farm that comprises of 1 server.

When I go to backup this sharepoint server, should I just be doing a select all, that also selects the SQL databases as well as the Sharepoint farm?

Other then added more data to be backed up should the SQL be backed up as well as selecting the Sharepoint farm on that server?  Is there any advantage to backing up both?  I have also got the Granualr restore set to enable, and this is going to driect to tape. 

Thanks
Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MacLEOD
Level 4

I just got off thephone wiht Symantec:

The proper method to do a complete bakcup of the Sharepoint

If the Server is currently select and backuing up the SQL server via the SQL agent is to is to unselect any SQL and the server selections itself.  (Completely Uncheck all components on the servers in the farm.

Goto the Sharepoint server fram listing (under its own group form the backup list)
Select the requred Sharepoint Farm.
This should select all the components  *Minus the SQL Server backup*
Save the job.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

__x_so_fab_x__
Level 3
Employee
Symantec Enterprise Technical Support can assist you.
You may contact them at 1-800-634-4747 opt 1.
Hope this will help...Ü

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You can select the complete farm that you see and it will backup all the database from the sharepoint as well as SQL. You have to backup the complete farm because if sharpoint crashes then you might need to restore the complete thing, so it is very important to backup the complete sharepoint farm

MacLEOD
Level 4

OK, I can understand that I was just wondering if selecting both the complete farm and the SQL databases together would be perhaps a bit overkill?

MacLEOD
Level 4

I just got off thephone wiht Symantec:

The proper method to do a complete bakcup of the Sharepoint

If the Server is currently select and backuing up the SQL server via the SQL agent is to is to unselect any SQL and the server selections itself.  (Completely Uncheck all components on the servers in the farm.

Goto the Sharepoint server fram listing (under its own group form the backup list)
Select the requred Sharepoint Farm.
This should select all the components  *Minus the SQL Server backup*
Save the job.