cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d - Final Error 0xe00084af

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

We have 3 servers that have been running fine.  This morning, however, all 3 servers failed (at different stages in their scheduled backup) with the final error 0xe00084af: The file or directory cannot be accessed.

I have checked that the listed folders and directories are present and accessible, Have tried numerous ways of solving this but backups continue to fail.

We are running Backup Exec 11d with SP3 and hotfixes 35, 38 and 39 installed.  Running on Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard edition with Service Pack 2.

We've made no changes to our system, and even running a separate partial backup fails with the same error.

Live update indicates there are no updates available.

Has anyone else encountered this and (more importantly) found a fix for it!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice! :o)

30 REPLIES 30

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have Ani-Virus installed on the server which is in question.

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

Yes, Sophos Antivirus is installed and has been for some time.   It hasn't affected the backup in any way before.

This error is something that has suddenly occured on 3 servers at once! very odd!

Thanks

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Can you please confirm if it is 11d 7170 with what service pack like sp4 or less than that & as said by amol if you have antivirus please disable it & then run backup will be good isolation

Thank You

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

All 3 are running - Version 11.0 Revision 6235  Service Pack 3 installed as well as Hotfix 35, 38 and 39.

Thanks

AmolB

There are 4 reasons for the above failure.

1) If the file or folder does not exists (false in your case)

2) If AV has lock the file or folder during active scan.

3) credentials issue (backup exec account is not having permission to access the files)

4) Fragmentation on the drive where the files or folders reside. (to some extent)

Note: Its always recommended to install the latest updates, So if possible upgrade to

BE11d 7170 SP5. 

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Please upgrade your 11d build to 7170 this is the link for same & then install sp5 & then upgrade remote agent on remote client issue should be resolved

http://esdownload.symantec.com/akdlm/CD/MTV/BEWS_11D.7170_32BIT_VERSION.zip---for 32 bit

http://esdownload.symantec.com/akdlm/CD/MTV/BEWS_11D.7170_X64_VERSION.zip----for 64 bit

and link for service pack 5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126756 --32 bit        

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126755--64 bit   

Thank You

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

Thanks - itsmeaffinity.

Sadly i'm getting an access denied error when I click on your links.  Can the download be obtained from somewhere else on the Symantec Site??

Thanks

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

I will give you workaround for same please go to backupexec.com please dont enter www enter backupexec.com directly & then on right hand side click on backupexec below trialware & then you will see download link for BE 2010 r2 click on download (we are not going to download version 2010 r2 it is only workaround for access denined) & agree & then ente user name & password for symantec

& then again try with that link in new tab & you will see option for save

If this help you please mark this post as solved & let me know with further updates

Thank You

AmolB

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

Many Thanks Amolzerocool.

Downloading now! :o)

Thanks to Itsmeaffinty too!

Much Appreciated!

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hey Welcome

So upgrade 7170 build first & then install sp5 & then upgrade your client server
& then check if that still doesnot work please refer this document should fix the issue

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2818

Will wait for your further updates

Cheers

Thank You

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

Early indications are that this hasn't worked.

We've not yet had chance to reboot the server in question.  But have tried a backup and again it has failed in the same way.

1 Baffling thing is that while watching the backup operation, under current operation - it does Backup and counts up the file size, then does the verify and counts up the file size but then reports that the backup has failed.

I have tried a restore from one of the failed backup and it has restored successfully. 

Does this point to another problem perhaps??

AmolB

Did you disable AV during the backup.

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

Yes, we've tried disabling Antivirus, with no joy.

As I mentioned previous.  The same AV product has been installed pretty much from day 1 without affecting the backups.  

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

Have you followed the article below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2818

Thank You

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Any updates here

Please mark this post resolved if this has resolved the issue

Thank You

Middleton_ITDev
Level 3

Apologies for delay.

I'm not in work this week so am waiting for updates from my colleagues.

I have been told that 1 of the 3 servers on which we've had the error has since worked fine since performing the update (and the reboot seems essential also)

Am still awaiting an update on the other 2 servers.

Thanks

(have marked the post as solved.  Can always open a new call later if other servers still fail)

Many Thanks for your help to everyone who contributed :o)

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your response on same & great to see it is working fine back

Also yes please let us know in case of any issue on other server so that we can fix that too

Keep posted

Appreciate your all responses on same

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If your problem is not solved, you should not mark the discussion as solved.  Leave it open.