cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Install rollsback on failed install

Frank11
Level 3

I am trying to rebuild my (windows SBS 2003) server. I rebuilt the whole box and installed Backup Exec 11d. The install failed - no files were installed. Now it won't install the files at all no matter what I do, repair, reinstall, uninstall, etc. Can someone tell me how to get around this? This is rather urgent. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Frank11
Level 3

Fine example of the detriments of sleep deprivation. I had typed 'System Login Account' where I should have typed the name of the USER in that role. Thank you everyone for your patience and guidance.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

tech29
Level 6

Hi,

Please try steps from the followin document to manually uninstall BE 11d.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/287320

regards,

tech29

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should also search for the bkupinst.htm on the C; drive and check it for what the installation errors are.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Where exactly does it fail? While installing SQL Express? .Net?

If you have an AV installed, disable it and try the installation again...and I assume you have enough disk space available for the installation?

Thanks!

Frank11
Level 3

As I finally found in the log file and a matching solution on the support pages. So I did get by that and the installation went smoothly. SQL Server was not installed properly. I was able to inventory and catalog tapes for the restore I am TRYING to do.

Following thse instructions:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17613

Now I am hung up on the credentials required to run a restore in Windows 2003 Server DSRM. All the services start with the system logon account and Backup Exec launches but when I try to run the restore I get:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48893

This is the error but I am trying to restore AD on Windows SBS Server machine in directory services restore mode (DSRM)

I anyone has ideas, I am open. I have tried to set the dsrm account as the Backup Exec login account as well as the system logon account, niether works - although I can log into the server in DSRM without issue.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, so BE 11d is now installed correctly...which version are you running? rev. 6235 or rev. 7170? If rev. 6235 upgrade to rev. 7170 and patch your media server. Push-install the updates out to any remote servers and then try the restore again....

Frank11
Level 3

I'll dig up a v7170 and patch things up. We'll see. You don't think this has anything to do with the lack of AD (and AD users) when in DSRM? Thanks for your help. Its been a long night.

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Frank,

Have you tried this :

9. Reboot the computer

10. Press <F8> when prompted during the boot-up sequence. A blocked line at the bottom of the screen will show with the prompt to press <F8> below it.

11. Select Directory Service Restore Mode

12. Log on to the server as the user "Administrator" with the password that was selected during the installation of Windows 2000/2003 Small Business Server

13. Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Manage

14. Expand the Services and Applications node

15. Click Services

16. Double-click each of the Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 services and do the following for each service:
   1. Backup Exec Agent browser
   2. Backup Exec Device and media
   3. Backup Exec Job engine
   4.  Backup Exec Server 
   5. Backup Exec remote agent for Windows servers service runs with the local system account always.
   6. SQL server (Bkupexec) in case of a Backup Exec 11d.(Note: In case of BE 10.x and previous versions the service for MSDE for Backup exec "Mssql$bkupexec" would run with the local system account.)

a. Click on the Log On tab

b. Select Log on as: Local System Account

If you cannot log on using the Local System Account, try the following Microsoft article:

How To Reset the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Account Password in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322672  

17. Start all the Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 services.

A reboot may be necessary, if the services do not start on the server.

18. Launch Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 Small Business Server Edition

19. From the Restore Selections tab, select all sets of backups that contain logical drives on the hard disk. 

You may refer to Technote : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17613

Hope this helps.

Frank11
Level 3

After following all the instructions (and several hours), I got to 24 but the restore blows up with the errors described above. It seems to be an issue with AD and the accounts related to it and not being available in DSRM

Frank11
Level 3

Fine example of the detriments of sleep deprivation. I had typed 'System Login Account' where I should have typed the name of the USER in that role. Thank you everyone for your patience and guidance.