cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d & IBM TSM Integration

Adrian1
Level 2
Hello, we're trying to integrate BackupExec 11d (with Agent for Exchange) to utilise the IBM Storage system we have here on campus. I've checked through the document which describes using the BEX.MAC macro file to prepare TSM, however, there is one option i do not fully understand.

On page 774 of the BackupExec Admin guide, it states "The number of backup versions to keep is set to one because Backup Exec only recognizes one copy of backup data." We wish to be able to keep 30 days worth of Exchange Backups available for Restoration via BackupExec, does this mean that using the TSM option will invalidate this and only ever see one days worth of backups for us to restore from?

If this is the case, it means i have to do a 2 step Backup Procedure (use BackupExec to Disk, then TSM to Tape) which requires us to have a huge Backup Volume, taking up valuable space on our SAN, which we really don't want to do (currently using NTBackup & TSM in 2 step & it's painful).

Hoping someone out there has used BE11d and TSM together and might be able to shed some light on this issue.

Kind regards.

Adrian
Blade Systems Developer (Microsoft).
3 REPLIES 3

SPR_TSE
Level 4
Employee
This looks to be a Tivoli configuration issue. I was able to use Google (search terms: TSM VERExists) and found several links that explain the VERExists flag you're referring to. According to the link I've provided from my search (a PowerPoint document found at http://ezbackup.cornell.edu/techsup/hottopics/2006_May_4_Retention.ppt), this looks to be a variable setting.

You may want to confirm this with your Tivoli vendor or possibly consider a call to Symantec support.

Adrian_Sahota
Not applicable
Our TSM Guys are now happy with the configuration of the BEX macro, and have run it to prepare our TSM environment. I've configured BE11D with the correct Server name and port for TSM, and can see the TSM device under "Stand-Alone Drives". However, any jobs directed to this device stay with the status "Queued" for over 24 hours (i've cancelled after this point). No communication between BE11D and the TSM Server is apparent during this period.

On the Server that BE11D is installed upon, we have a TSM Client installation, which is able to see the server and send Backup Jobs etc, and all works fine. The only log file i can find for BE11D that updates during any period of (possible) TSM use, is called adamm.log under \Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs. A point for concern is the error >>
[4164] 07/03/07 16:44:13.965 Changer InitializeDevice() failed - ERROR = 0x00000006 (ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE)
<<
to which i've not been able to fine an answer to.

Obviosuly BE11D has some issue loading the device drivers for TSM, as i would expect to see a TSM Device under "Robotic Libraries" in Devices if all is running successfully.

Any pointers to help me resolve this issue would be greatly received, as it would be fantastic to get Exchange Backups done in a one step operation, rather than BE11D > Backup-to-disk folder > TSM Client > TSM Library.

Kind regards

Adrian

Christopher_Hug
Level 3
I wouldn't rely to heavily on the TSM option in Backup Exec.  It isn't supported on a 64 bit media server and Symantec is considering phasing out this option.