cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d compression issue

teejay_2
Level 3
I am using Backup Exec 11d on Widows Server 2003 Standard edition SP2. 

I have an HP LTO Ultrium-3 Tape drive.  I am using 800GB tapes (400GB Native).

I select use hardware compression in Backup Exec and software if not available.
However, the backup gets to between 350GB - 450GB and stop working, stating to insert a new tape.  But it shouldnt need a new tape as it is a 800GB tape.  Note, sometimes the backup completes successfully. (backups upto 460GB have completed successfully on occasions)

In HP tape tools device test states :  Device hardware compression algorithm is switched off, this may be due to backup software.

Any help on how to complete these backups?
5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I'd expect you to get about 390GB native on a tape. Are you running more than one job to the tape? If there's little space left at the end of a tape BE seems to decide to start a new tape, which might explain why you might get as little as 350GB on a tape.

teejay_2
Level 3
Thanks for the quick response....the links are very informative.

I am only running one job.   But as BE is selected to use hardware compression, it should not stop at 350GB, nor should it at 600GB, so why does it ask for another tape?

Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Backup Exec turns compression on and off as needed, so that is why the HP tools show it as turned off.  Now as to why you are only getting 350gigs on the tape, you may want to take that up with HP. Backup Exec has no control over how much compression is used during the backup.  It only sends the command to compress the data, not to compress it by an amount.

Most times when I've seen this issue it's been an issue with the hardware, but there has been a very few instances were it was a problem with the drivers.  So make sure you are on the latest Symantec drivers.  If you are on the Symantec drivers, give the HP drivers a shot.  Every now and then the vendor drivers work better.  The Symantec drivers are not required for Backup Exec to work, but are recommended.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As a followup to Ben's reply

Shut down all BackupExec services and try an NTBackup run with Hardware Compression specified

If that works, then the problem IS somewhere in BackupExec.  if it still fails to compress, that's one more piece of info to give the the manufacturer when you call

teejay_2
Level 3
Thanks very much guys.  I am currently installing symantec drivers and will reboot server at 5 GMT.  If this does not work I will try NT Backup. 

Once again, many thanks.