cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d for Windows Reinstall Licensing Issue

Jim_Verduin
Level 2

We have a Windows 2003 server here running Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers.  After some harddrive corruption problems, we needed to reinstall Backup Exec.  I pulled out the original installer disc and license key card and started the install.  When I was asked to enter the license key, the installer replied "An invalid license key has been entered.  Please verify and try again."  Well, the number I entered was correct and still no luck.

I called Symantec Tech Support and they would not help me, as this version of Backup Exec has reached end of life. They suggested I purchase an upgrade of the software.  Getting a new purchase through the corporate structure would take too long - I need my daily backups back in service as quick as possible.  A reinstall of software we already own would be the quickest answer.  Tech Support told me to come to this forum and get help this way.

Any assistance you guys can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim Verduin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you still have your old server, look for besernum.XML. This is the file containing the BE serial numbers. Of you can find it put it into the same directory in your new server. Otherwise, use BE trial mode and search the backups of your old media server for this file. After you take the file put it in the same location in your media server as you have found it You should upgrade your BE because it is seriously out of date

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can check with the Symantec Licencing Department as to what is your proper license keys. Choose option 2 after calling the support number

Jim_Verduin
Level 2

Thanks, but I tried them first.  They said they can't help me because this version of Backup Exec has reached end-of-life.  It just doesn't make sense that I can't reinstall software that I already own...

Any other suggestions?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you still have your old server, look for besernum.XML. This is the file containing the BE serial numbers. Of you can find it put it into the same directory in your new server. Otherwise, use BE trial mode and search the backups of your old media server for this file. After you take the file put it in the same location in your media server as you have found it You should upgrade your BE because it is seriously out of date

Jim_Verduin
Level 2

Thanks for you suggestions.  I will give them a try and reply back with success/fail status.

Thanks again.

Jim_Verduin
Level 2

That did the trick.  Importing the license key from the xml file worked like a charm.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim

Moopere
Level 2

> They said they can't help me because this version of Backup Exec has reached end-of-life

I see you have managed to find a solution which is great.  I just had to leave a comment though.  I would be prepared to kick up an absolutely enormous stink if Symantec support tried this reponse with me. 

The software is purchased with a perpetual licence as such, you should be able to continue to use it forever.  Forever is going to inevitably include a few base metal reinstalls and they simply need to support their customers through this.

It really gets my goat that so many, particularly larger companies, are very enthusiastic to embrace online 'activation' style licence control as opposed to the old style paper-licence-is-all-you-need, yet are not (apparently) prepared to stump up the support that this type of licence control demands.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Note you can open that file in notepad to see tha actual serial numbers (turn on wordwrap or scoll across to veiw them all and don't let any changes be saved.)