Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d nightmare...

steeve_p
Level 4
 here's what I would like to accomplish;

5 servers
1 backup exec server
differentials m-thurs to b2d folder on backup exec server and then duplicate that days differential job to tape

weekly fri to b2d filder on backup exec server and then duplidate that weeks differential job to tape.

I currently have setup a seperate job for differentials, a seperate job for differential-duplicates, a seperate job for weekly-duplicates. I believe the duplicate jobs are failing becuase they are meant to backup a backup set and after the first week, that backup set isnt there, becuase it's been over-written...

My duplicate jobs keep failing. I need a solution that works.

Can you offer your opinions or recommendations on how i should setup backup exec?

Steeve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 In you explanation I would start by setting it up this way:

Create a Backup to disk folder for DIFF (B2DDiff)
Create a Backup to disk folder for FULl (B2DFull)

Create the B2D Diff Backup job for M-Th
Set the job to Overwrite only.
Target it to a media set with 4 days overwrite protection
Example B2D_Diff (4 days overwrite infinite allow append)
Target the job to (B2DDiff) disk folder

Create the B2D Full Backup job for Fridday
Target it to a media set with 6 days overwrite protection
Exampled B2D_FULL (6 days overwrite infinite allow append)
Target the job to (B2DFull) disk folder.

Create your duplicate job. When you create the duplicate job your picking the option to duplicate following a backup.

I can only think that may be both you b2d jobs were targeting the same backup to disk folder. If thats the case it would have never worked.

In the above example Im assuming 4 days worth of DIFF can stay on disk along with 1 copy of FULL.

Without knowing what you duplicates were failing at its hard to tell.  My gut feeling you media sets were not right and media was getting overwritten.

Now if you were to put all this in a policy based backup the dupes would have failed if a piece of the backup to disk media got overwritten or the duplicates never complete.  You comment about "last week" data would only apply to a policy based backup with duplicates. In a policy for example..if the Monday night duplicate fails or is missed. Tuesdays duplicate has to duplicate Monday + Tuesday..and generally by that time parts of Monday data that need to be duplicates is overwritten

Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Either You can configure a duplicate job as soon as the primary job is completed. I think you are running scheduled duplicate job, and the primary job associated to the duplicate job is overwritten, thats the reason the duplicate job is failing.

Or you can Increase the Overwrite protection perion on the B2D folder which is been duplicated on the Tapes.

Hope this helps...

Marksw
Level 5
 In you explanation I would start by setting it up this way:

Create a Backup to disk folder for DIFF (B2DDiff)
Create a Backup to disk folder for FULl (B2DFull)

Create the B2D Diff Backup job for M-Th
Target it to a media set with 4 days overwrite protection
Example B2D_Diff (4 days overwrite infinite allow append)
Target the job to (B2DDiff) disk folder

Create the B2D Full Backup job for Fridday
Target it to a media set with 6 days overwrite protection
Exampled B2D_FULL (6 days overwrite infinite allow append)
Target the job to (B2DFull) disk folder.

Create your duplicate job. When you create the duplicate job your picking the option to duplicate following a backup.

I can only think that may be both you b2d jobs were targeting the same backup to disk folder. If thats the case it would have never worked.

In the above example Im assuming 4 days worth of DIFF can stay on disk along with 1 copy of FULL.

Without knowing what you duplicates were failing at its hard to tell.  My gut feeling you media sets were not right and media was getting overwritten.

Now if you were to put all this in a policy based backup the dupes would have failed if a piece of the backup to disk media got overwritten or the duplicates never complete.  You comment about "last week" data would only apply to a policy based backup with duplicates. In a policy for example..if the Monday night duplicate fails or is missed. Tuesdays duplicate has to duplicate Monday + Tuesday..and generally by that time parts of Monday data that need to be duplicates is overwritten

Mark