cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d services die on Exchange 2003 backup

firststep
Level 3

Hi,

I'm getting a weird Backup Exec issue. I've got 11d for SBS2003. It's been installed and running just fine for almost 5 years now. Patches up to date.

I was backing up to DAT72, but these tapes were recently filling up. I've started using Removable Backup-to-Disk folders on USB disks. I encountered an issue whereby backups would run fine, but as soon as I started backing up Exchange, the Backup Exec services would "unexpectedly terminate". Exchange would backup fine to tape, but not to Removable B2D folders.

The weird part is, a few days later, backups to DAT72 have ALSO started failing when backing up Exchange. The Report log says:

Backup of "\\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "

Backup set #1 on storage media #1

Backup set description: "Exchange Backup"

Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)

Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started

The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.

Backup started on 24/11/2011 at 02:39:54.

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs was successful.

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Mailbox Store (SERVER) was successful.

V-79-57344-65072 - The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.

V-79-57344-34108 - An unexpected error occurred when cleaning up snapshot volumes. Confirm that all snapped volumes are correctly resynchronized with the original volumes.

======================================================================

Job ended: 24 November 2011 at 02:43:29

Job completion status: Failed

====================================================================== 

I've tried the following:
  • Run eseutil on the Exchange databases - no issues found
  • Used NTBackup to backup Exchange - backup was successful
  • Turned off AOFO - Backup still unsuccessful
  • Backed up Public database only - backup successful
  • Backed up Mailboxes store only - backup unsuccessful
  • Rebooted the server - backup still unsuccessful

There's nothing of note in the Windows event logs, other than the service terminating. Usding Job monitor, the job runs for less than a minute, with a byte count of less than 1MB before the service dies. About a minute or two later, I get a "Job failed"

Can anyone please give me any pointers? I've searched forums and elsewhere with no success.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex.

16 REPLIES 16

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Disable TCP Offload on the Media server and Exchange Server.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/TECH52727

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not be using removable B2D folders for your USB disks.  You should use normal B2D folders.  Removable B2D folders are meant for things like Jaz drives and RDX drives.

firststep
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for your post. Forgot to mention the agent is local. Don't think TCP offload would make a difference?

Thanks again,

firststep
Level 3

Will try normal folders, thanks.

I'll post any progress. 

Any other suggestions guys & girls? Thanks again!

firststep
Level 3

Thanks, will make the switch, I'd not appreciated that.

I don't think that's the cause though, as the agent dies when backing up to DAT72 too.

Any other ideas anyone?

Many thanks!

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you disable GRT option in the backup job and check if the remote agent still crashes during backup?

Does this happen only for Exchange backups or for normal file/folders backup as well?

Check application log if it shows any error when the service crashes.

firststep
Level 3

Thanks. Not sure there is a GRT option in 11d?

This only happens for backups of the Exchange Mailbox Store. Exchange Public store is fine. Files and folders are fine.

I've just tried unticking "Enable Restore of Individual mail messages..." (is that the same as GRT?) and the backup runs fine then. Would I be right to assume one of the individual messages is making the Agent crash?

If so, how do I resolve this?

Thanks fo your help!

firststep
Level 3

Forgot to add, Application log says:

ESE:

Information Store (5680) First Storage Group: Ending the backup of the file D:\exchange\mdbdata\priv1.edb. Not all data in the file has been read (read 851968 bytes out of 2826317824 bytes).  

ESE:

Information Store (5680) First Storage Group: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.  

Then Backup Exec:

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed

(Server: "SERVER") (Job: "Exchange Backup(Private)") Exchange Backup(Private) -- The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred. 

Thanks!

firststep
Level 3

Is GRT the same as "Enable Restore of Individual mail messages..."? I can see no reference to GRT in version 11D or its help file.

I turned on "Enable Restore of Individual mail messages...", disabled AV and turned on AOFO. Agent crashed again when backing up the Mail store.

The only success I've had is turning off "Enable Restore of Individual mail messages...". Job runs OK then.

Any more suggestions? Thanks for your help all.

firststep
Level 3

This was to a local B2F folder, thanks.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Yes, GRT is the same as "Enable Restore of Individual mail messages" in BE 11d.

Sorry I mean to say disable AOFO(due to exch 2003 limitation with snapshot backups and VSS errors above),

I have corrected my post above.

firststep
Level 3

Hi,

Yes, if I turn off GRT and turn off AOFO, the backup runs fine to boh tape and B2D.

It's been running fine with GRT on for years. What can I do to get backups running with GRT without the agent crashing?

Many thanks.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Please try a Exch information store GRT enabled backup to b2d on a local disk.

If you have any antivirus running disable it or exclude b2d folder

also turn off AOFO.

sbora
Level 6

Please check event viewer application log and see if any error event (Application Errpr) is logged when the agent crashes.

If yes please copy/paste the contents of the event in the next post.

What about upgrading Backup Exec to 2010 R3? If you have a maintenance contract you can get the licenses for BE 2010 R3 and upgrade.

firststep
Level 3

Application log output is shown further up.

This server is shortly to be retired, its services migrated to a new server with SBS2008. That will have Backup Exec 2010 on.

I've got Exchange backing UP OK now, but without GRT. That will do until migration is complete in a month or two.

Thanks all!

VJware
Level 6

Have you looked at - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68995 ?