cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d sp 5 will not restore!

rmbrewerwv
Level 3

Just like the title says we are running 11d sp5.  We restore at least every quarter to check backups.  It has worked flawlessly until we put our system on a new domain.  Now everytime I attempt to do a restore I get the following errors.  OBTW I am running Windows Server 2003 R2.  Windows DNS.  I did increase my virtual memory to the maximum on 2 drives.  The media has NOT been overwritten. 

Device name         : 
Target name         : QUANTUM 1
Media set name      : 
Error category    : Job Errors
Error             : e0008444 - An error occurred while scanning the catalogs. The job will not continue.

Check for the following:
 - low virtual memory conditions
 - a corrupt or truncated catalog
 - that the media you are restoring has not been overwritten

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33860

I have followed EVERY procedure listed on the Symantec website link but still no luck.  I even tried to restore, by not using the catalogs per the instructions but it still did not restore. 

I even logged the server off the domain and tried it that way and its a No-Go.  Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated. 

I am lost.  It always gives me the EXACT SAME ERROR MESSAGE NO MATTER WHAT!

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Michael

10 REPLIES 10

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried rebuilding the database?

Refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31716

Regards....

rmbrewerwv
Level 3

I went thru step by step the procedures outlined and got the same message again.  I do not know what I am doing wrong or what has happened for this to act up like this.

I even tried it a second time and the same old error keeps popping up.  I just don't know.

Michael

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you also tried the steps as outlined in these KBs:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH37047

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142684

rmbrewerwv
Level 3

I tried all the ones in the first article last week with no luck.  I just tried the second and still no luck.  I was told if I upgraded to the latest and greatest BE software it would not be able to read my tapes created on 11d either.  So that is why I stayed at 11 d because it had always worked and retored no problems.

I would copy and past sceen shots but my server wil not let do copy and past.

Michael

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I was told if I upgraded to the latest and greatest BE software it would not be able to read my tapes created on 11d either

Definately not true.... You can upgrade directly to BE 2010 R3 from BE11d. All the existing configuration and catalogs can be retained. 

Direct upgrade path from BE 11d for Windows servers to BE 2010 R3: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159557

Regards.....

rmbrewerwv
Level 3

Well I cannot find my upgrade path to 2010 only to 12.5 I am going to have to figure out another way.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can upgrade BE 11d directly to BE 2010.  See page 48 of th SCL below.

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

You can do an upgrade in-place.  Just save the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory in case you have problems with the upgrade.

rmbrewerwv
Level 3

Question.  Ca I take the catalogs in the Old_Catalog directory and copy them over to the catalog directory I am using now?  Just wondering.  I downloaded all the necessary files needed to burn the ISO images to dvd to install BE2010 R3.  So I just need to find time to install it now.  Hopefully I can get it done before this weekend and know that all is good.  How long will the install take since I have all my license  and license keys printed out and ready to go?  Thanks for your help and input.  This new DNS setup has really messed up several PCs.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Ca I take the catalogs in the Old_Catalog directory and copy them over to the catalog directory I am using now?

You should be able to if the catalogs are created by the same version of BE.  You may need to do a catrebuildindex after copying them over.

Couple of things to note about the upgrade

1) Make sure that you make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory before you do the upgrade to R3.  This is in case things go wrong during the upgrade.

2) Make sure you have the new licence keys for BE 2010.  Your existing BE 11d keys will not work.

3) After you have upgraded, you need to run LiveUpdate a couple of times to install SP1 and all the current hotfixes.  Run LiveUpdate until it report that there are no more updates.

4) Push out your remote agents.

rmbrewer
Not applicable

I would not believe this if I had not seen it.  A friend of mine who is a 3rd party Symantec reseller/installer came in last Friday.  I showed him over and over where I had done EVERYTHING previously mentioned above.  AT LEAST ONCE but most MANY times!!!  So he comes in and reviews all the logs.  He tries it again and its a fail.  Sets up a new Restore job.  Puts in on hold.  Waits a couple of minutes and starts it up and POOF!, it works.  We have restored successfully a few times to verify.  He said I just needed to create a NEW JOB.  I said DUH.  If you will check the logs and records you can see where I had created almost 10 new jobs and none of them worked.  I asked what he really did to fix it and he said, All I did was create a new job and it took off.  I shook my head.  But hey, It's working and thats all that counts.