cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d with Windows 2012

srsiddiqui
Level 3

Hello,

I am currently in phase of migrating our servers from Windows 2003 to Windows 2012. For this purpose, i want to know whether Backip Exec 11d is supported with Windows 2012 or not.

Secondly, i have a single server with multiple drives which need backup on daily basis. Single backup job is scheduled to backup from those drives. It took around 16 hours to backup this server. Can Backup Exec take backup simantaneously from this server to minmize backup time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Twinkle
Level 4

As per the compatibility guide it is not supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50180

For your second question , If you have multiple drive you can Configure Backup exec to run multiple job at one time.

If you are using a robot , and if  you are using more than one drive you would need a 1 License per drive  for the additional  drives you have.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Twinkle
Level 4

As per the compatibility guide it is not supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH50180

For your second question , If you have multiple drive you can Configure Backup exec to run multiple job at one time.

If you are using a robot , and if  you are using more than one drive you would need a 1 License per drive  for the additional  drives you have.

srsiddiqui
Level 3

I am not using robot. taking backups on NAS. 

Just want to start a single job with multiple threads means backup 2 or more drives simantaneously.

Twinkle
Level 4

Single job would have a single thread . You cannot have multiple threads with a single backup job, 

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Shariq,

You can create more number of jobs and target to the same destination Backup to Disk folder. So in one job you can select 2 drives and in other job other 2 drives.

Backup Exec will be able to run these 2 jobs simultaneously and back it up to the same destination B2D.

Also for support of BE 2012 please register to the BETA fix which will be released soon.

Here are the links for registering to the BEta fix and also to get more information on the same:

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=52801D5ABA034CC18A15C8E8E5CB2F99

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/announcing-new-beta-backup-exec

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/schedule-update-next-releases-backup-exec

Thanks,

-Sush...

srsiddiqui
Level 3

@ Sush

you mean to say that multiple jobs with same single backup to disk folders can be created. I have around 1 TB of data which backs up daily and ends after some 20+ hours with a rate of 178 MB/min

Twinkle
Level 4

You can have conrruent backup jobs running on same backup to diskfolder , But thatis not  would not reduce your backup time window.

srsiddiqui
Level 3

how can i reduce backup time window and we are expected to grow our backup data from 1 TB to 2 TB in the next quater. 

Twinkle
Level 4

Do you Run full backup daily ? If Yes then you can have a full incremental backup stratergy so can only backup the changes daily. 

srsiddiqui
Level 3

Yes, i run full backup daily.

What is the difference between full incremental and incremental backup ??

Twinkle
Level 4

Full backup backs up everything Daily whereas incremetnal backup only the changes from the last full or incremental backup. When performing a  restore you would need to restore Full and all the incremental backups sets. This would also reduce the spcae required for backup. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Running simultaneous backups does not necessarily mean that you would get a corresponding reduction in time.  For example, your job runs for 20 hours. Splitting it into 4 jobs does not mean that the jobs will all finish in 5 hours.  There is a lot of other factors coming into play, e.g. contention on the target device, CPU of the media server, network bandwidth, etc.

srsiddiqui
Level 3

Is there any way to increase backup speed when doing full backup

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...exclude files like *.mp3 etc so that they don't get backed up; make sure your AV isn't scanning the BE services; use a faster drive; look at deduplication are some of the ways...

srsiddiqui
Level 3

iss deduplication supported in Backup Exec 11d ?? Tell me how to configure it

already allow BackupExec.exe on AV

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Dedup is a payable option for BE 2010 and upwards.  Dedup will save you disk space, but not necessarily backup time.

srsiddiqui
Level 3

Can i take backup of Windows 2012 machine with BE 2010 R2/R3. Means agent of 2010 will install and take backup of Win 2012 machine ??

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Absolutely not...please go back and check the very first post...it was mentioned there that Windows Server 2012 is NOT supported. It is NOT supported by ANY version of BE 2010/2012, and this has been mentioned a couple of times already in this thread...wink

Like has also been mentioned, join the Beta to get access to the patch that will allow this.......

srsiddiqui
Level 3

@ Carig V

Yes i know BE 11d does not support Windows 2012. I was asking about whether BE 2010 R2/R3 supports Windows 2012 or not

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 R3 SP3 will support Windows 2012.  However, SP3 is not out yet. GA is expected to be in July.