cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.0 Access Denied to DFSRoots

AppleHead493
Level 3

Hi Everyone

Have a problem here that's getting on my nerves!

We use backup exec 12.0 that is installed on a Windows 2008 Server on our local domain.

We have a scheduled weekly tape drive backup that runs on Fridays to backup our file server and exchange server.

Our file server has a logical E drive where everything is stored and is organised into sub diretories for individual departments which are shared through SMB. However some of them are DFS Roots.

The backups run successfully on some of the file shares, however it can't backup the shares with DFS Roots and we get an access denied error with the follwoing error ID: V-79-57344-33928.

Info:

- File server runs Windows Server 2008.

- The backup exec logon account is the domains Administrator account with Domain Admin rights, and Administrator rights and Enterprise admin rights.

- The backup exec service is running on the file server.

- AOFO is enabled using MVSCS

We also get this error on the differentials which is a seperate job.

Hope soemone can shed some light on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Then you would need to log a support case for Symantec to take a look at the problem, although I am not sure whether BE 12 is still supported

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...make sure the BE Service Account has the necessary rights, as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130255

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

DFSroots are just links to the actual directories.  If you have backed up actual directories, there is no need to backup the DFSroots.  You can uncheck the follow junction points and symbolic links option in your backup job.

AppleHead493
Level 3

Hi pkh

I have set the backup to backup the entire E:\ directory which has the DFS links included, but for some reason it doesn't backup the folders linked via DFS and goes straight to the DFS roots. I'll try what you said and post back with what happens!.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To backup the DSF folders, you need to backup the shadow copy component of the volume

AppleHead493
Level 3

Yes. both System State and Shadow copy components are updated.

AppleHead493
Level 3

Hi pkh

I tried what you said and it did not work.

BackupExec is not backing up the directories that are linked via DFS Root.

So If Durectory A is in E:\DirA it will be backed up.

And if Directory B is in E:\DirB and also has a DFS root. IT WILL NOT BACKUP!

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

E:\DirB is backed up as part of the shadow copy component which is why I asked you earlier to backup the shadow copy component. It is not backed up as part of the regular file backup. See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH85354

AppleHead493
Level 3

Hi pkh

I do backup the Shadow copy components but still get this error.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you unchecked the options to follow junction points and symbolic links?

AppleHead493
Level 3

Yes I did.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Then you would need to log a support case for Symantec to take a look at the problem, although I am not sure whether BE 12 is still supported