cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.0 and NAS appliance

Jayla
Not applicable

Can I use Backup Exec 12.0 and backup to a HP StorageWorks X1600 Network Storage System? Or do I need to upgrade?

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_peters
Level 3

Interesting, I was about to post the exact same question. Any help would be appreciated.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not supported by BE 12.  You can check out the HCL below

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/294294.pdf

I think it is quite new, even BE 2010 does not support it.  See the HCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050

teiva-boy
Level 6

It runs Windows 2008 Storage server.  Install a Windows agent on it, and it should work.  

The HCL does NOT apply here, only the SCL.  

Rob_peters
Level 3

The storage server will need to have the full backupexec 2008 server on it not just the agent since it is controlling the backups.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Not if a B2D device is created on the Storage Server from the media server

Rob_peters
Level 3

From what I understand, the HP Storageworks X1600 has Windows storage server 2008 installed. In order for Backupexec 12 to work from a Windows 2008 server, it will need to be upgraded to Backupexec 2010.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

BE  v12 can  backup a W2K8 server, v12.5 (with patch) can backup a W2K8 R2 server

But the original question was: can he place a B2D device managed by v12 on that storage server.  As long as the network share is accessible to the BESA, the OS of the storeage server should not matter.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

...  and because the X1600 is the destination, the HCL matters.  If it is not supported and it does not work for some reason, the user is on his own.

At the minimum, it should be tested with the B2DTest tool (see below) to see whether there is any problems.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69107