Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.0 install problems

phansson
Level 2
Hi,

English isnt my main language so bare with me

I am guessing this problem has been reported before, but I couldnt find the answers I needed.

Iam running with:
Server 2008
Backup Exec Server 12.0

we have been using backup exec now for ~6months and it has been working great.
1 week ago I started having troubles:

I got this error for every job I tried to perform
(Server: "SERVER01") (Job: "Company Ongoing Daily Full 0001") Company Ongoing Daily Full 0001 -- The job failed with the following error: Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

from what I read it was because I had tried to install the evaluation period of the exchange and sql agent awhile ago, and it was now overdue and appareantly stopping backup exec from working at all. I found no option what so ever to uninstall these evaluation agents, the only options existing was only to install them.

I then choose to uninstall backup exec but save the jobs/templates to reinstall it afterwards.

I think the uninstall went through without any complications, since the uninstall part never reported any errors, but the program itself is still in add/remove programs but I cant uninstall anymore through that one. I can still open the program but it has no media server to connect to so you are forced to close it immieadtly.

I now tried to install backup exec again, but then I get the error message:
The current version of backup exec is using an instance of sql that is not compatible with backup exec 12.
please upgrade this version of sql to a minimum of sql server 2000 service pack 3a or later.
if the computer is running windows server 2008, you must upgrade to sql server 2005 service pack 2.

I then downloaded both sp2 and sp3 to patch the sql server, but it seemed the sql server was already at sp3.
I uninstalled the sql 2005 server express, tried to run the backup exec installation again, still reporting the same error message.
I then reinstalled sql 2005 express it. tried once again to reinstall backup exec, but still I get the same error message.

so now iam out of ideas, how can I make this work again?

any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2

chicojrman
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301762.htm

phansson
Level 2
Hi,

thanks for the reply
I read the suggested link, but since I couldnt see the bkupexec instance, there was no such options, and I couldnt figure out how to manually add it.

I got so fed up with the whole situation that I tried to manually uninstall it totally through this walkthrough I found while searching http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287320.htm
after I followed these steps and rebooted, I could finally reinstall the software again without any issues.

It might have been a longer way around the problem, but atleast it solved my problem.