cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Email Notifications only work sporadically

Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
First of all I maintain several (20+) Backup Exec environments and am quite familiar with the product that I have been using for several years!
One of the most annoying features of BE (all versions) to keep working seems to always be email alert notifications.

The Issue:

Presently, I have two clients whose email alert notifications are setup and work one or two days then stop. However, one recipient always seems to get their email. 
I can restart the services and then run a job and then all recipients get their notifications immediately without issue.
However, when the scheduled job runs that evening or the next the notifications mysteriously stop again for all but one recipient.
Now of course as so many of you know if I go and send a Test Notification it works perfectly every time no matter what!
(I don't think you even need an internet connection for that to work....just kidding...) Just annoying that this always seems to work but the jobs don't kick off notifications when they run.

Anyway, one of the strange symptoms of these environments is that one recipient is getting alerts every time but the other three are not.

I have four recipients setup to receive notifications.
Two each from different domains. Two are from the local domain and two are for our remote domain.
The issue is that not all recipients get their notification email when a job runs and completes!
I have the local recipients set to receive alerts via the Backup job itself under the Notification properties. (simple alerts)
I have the remote recipients set to receive alerts via Tools>Assign Recipients to Alert Categories since we want more types of alerts.

For example:
Right now of the 4 recipients only one is receiving alerts when a job completes.
Recipient 1 local domain - Does not receive
Recipient 2 local domain - Does not receive
Recipient 3 remote (non trusted domain)  - Does not receive
Recipient 4 remote (non trusted domain)  - Does receive

If I restart the services and run a job everyone gets alert notifications...No events in the Event logs of the server or the Alert tab of BE.

The Environment:

All the latest updates and service packs have been applied, the main mail configuration settings and the users mail settings are all configured correctly I have checked them over a dozen times.
I have removed the mail and recipient settings for all and recreated them.
They work when you test them via the properties of the recipient or if you restart the services and run a job immediately...
However, once again when the nightly job runs only one recipient receives the email notification...
The two domains are Windows Server 2003 and are using Exchange 2003. Exchange Server is located at a remote site. 
Relaying is configured on the Exchange server for both Media Servers.
I am going to track these emails today using the Exchange Tools... To see whether they are even being sent or received. I don't believe they are even hitting the exchange server...

This has become VERY perplexing and I welcome any feedback on potential resolutions for this.
Has anyone else experienced this same scenario?
3 REPLIES 3

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hello there,
please, check if anti.virus is not blocking smtp traffic.
Do you have any network failures?
Is Exchange working well?
Do you have anyone saying for lost Emails?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
We are using SEP for AV and only the AV & Anti spyware feature is installed.
We are using SIFMSME 6.0 and nothing Backup Exec related is in quarantine
All email is flowing without any issues. When I test it after restarting services the notification email is received almost immediately.
As far as network failures the remote offices connnect via DSL so this may be a remote possibility but again all other email has been working just fine.
So exchange seems to be fine.
No lost emails have ever been reported.

Thanks for the suggestions...

ioniancat21
Level 5
This has been an unresolved issue for Backup Exec for a couple of years and by the looks of other users in the forum, it looks like this is going to stay unresolved for quite some time so I suggest you may have to think about abandoning hope on this one. I too have the issue as well as others in the forum and all but one is unresolved. Unfortunately, what you'll have to do is print the logs and get a file cabinet if you need a paper trail as these logs can't be resent post-backup. You also cannot create a report that will mimic the backup log that's sent when it does work. Sorry for the bad news but hopefully, Symantec will figure this one out someday although from the looks of things within the forum, it's obviously very low on Symantec's priority list.