cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Exchange Information Store missing

Diederik
Level 3
Hey all,

I have a rather annoying problem with my Backup Exec 12.5.
My backups fail because of the following error:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found.
Final error category: Resource Errors

My Exchange Server 2007 Information Store is what it cannot find, and if I try to make a new selection list, it's also gone.
It still shows 'Information Store' but the First and Second storage group isn't showing.

My exchange management console is installed on both the backup server (win2003 32bit) and the exchange server (win2003 64bit - Exchange 2007).
They are the same version and I checked some dll's like ese.dll and esebcli2.dll and both are version 8.1.xxx

How can I fix this problem so my Information store is again backupped?

Thnx,

Diederik
32 REPLIES 32

Diederik
Level 3
ok the agent is now correctly installed .. i see no more references to the 'trial version'
I haven't found the option for active instead of passive.. you know where I can find it precisely ?

Thnx

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Please find belo snap for this and the option for Exchange active / passive backup

imagebrowser image

Diederik
Level 3
Thnx ALOT !

Backup is running now.. looks fine so far, no more error after 2 min's about the passive copy.

Diederik
Level 3
IThe job just finished and guess what :

Backup- \\xxxxxxxxxx\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\xxxxxxxxxx\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Ok

go to exchange server, open command prompt and type following command

vssadmin list writers

check for the result of Exchange writer

The State should be stable and Last Error should be no error

If it is indicating anything else..... then you will need to apply Microsoft's latest hotfix available for VSS

Also find below the link for the error

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321184.htm

Diederik
Level 3
Everything reports stable and without errors, except for the SqlServerWriter stating 'waiting for completion'

aggeren
Not applicable
Same problem here!

About a week ago, we started getting the same error as Diederik reported. And have tried almost everything from re-installing the agent to different regedit changes. CCR - Enable Remote Streaming Backup are set to "1", and checked again.

We manage 20 different backupjobs, SQL, Oracle, FILE and Exchange. It's only the exchange backup which gives us problems, and we have located the problem to accessing the storage groups through browsing from the BackupExec server. We also get this error:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found.
Final error category: Resource Errors

we are running a CCR cluster with a virtual node, and our backup job consists of DKEXCH01 (Virtual node which currently point to DKEXMB01) where we used to access the storage groups, and DKEXMB01+02 which are the clusternodes with the actual databases and logfiles. The problem is accessing DKEXCH01/storagegroup1-7 - I can't browse to this ressource through backup exec selectionlists anymore and the backupjob reports error everytime.

exchangeselections.JPG

When I try to browse the job selectionlist, I can't select any shares (i guess the storage groups shows up as usershares) and the sharenames don't match with the selectionlist entries. And I cant access/browse the data, I get this error (in my example picture, the shares are not selected due to my editing so that's ok).
exchangeselections2.JPG

Hoping....

Thomas

Boyd_Gosserand
Level 3
There is a problem with one of the latest hotfixes, which one, i'm not sure.
But here is how I fixed it.
Remove the agent from the exchange sever. 
Reinstall the agent on the exchange server.  Don't user the automated install!!!
Map a drive to your BUExec Server \\Server\c$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64
Run the setup.exe
Then install the SP2.msp \\Server\c$\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Updates\RAWSx642213RSP2.msp

After that your Infomation store will show up as a backup selection and you can backup the exchange server

Again I don't know which hotfix afer SP2 is causing the device error and causing the information store selection to disappear from the  selection list

I'm running Exchange 2007 SP2 all the latest hotfixes and BUExec Server is 2003 x86 all the latest windows hotfixes and buexec hotfixes

breb02
Level 3
The fix Boyd Gosserand provided worked like a charm.
I can see all Information Stores now, so thank you very much for sharing with the rest of the world
I'll probably wait for SP3 before installing any other hotfix.

Cheers,
 Breb

Jason_Th
Level 2
Do NOT install SP3. It also contains the buggy code causing this issue.

I've been getting some good information from an engineer working on this issue. They report that the issue is related to hotfix 329071, but won't be pulling it down because it fixes some critical issues with other Exchange backups. (damn if you do... screwed if you're using CCR).

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337276.htm

I had to uninstall the agents on both exchange mailbox servers and manually install the agent again and patches (except for SP3 and 32071) to get my backups to semi-run again. I'm still having intermitent auth issues, but my case is still open.

Hope this helps anyone else.

---

Edit: I also found that the 2nd or 3rd resources in a backup task would fail due to the same problem. My workaround was to configure each exchange resources with its own selection list.

breb02
Level 3
Apparently reinstalling the agent just fixes the problem temporarly.

D4n
Level 2
Jason Th, 
Thanks for the posted info I've been working on getting a new exchange bax working and been having a hard time with backup exec.

Its a Exc2007 on windows 2008 

i'm following this thread, for now I'm going to go back to sp2

Boyd_Gosserand
Level 3

There is now an article on the issue

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337276.htm