cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Fix a Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service error

Matt34
Level 4
I am getting this error on a couple of my backups:

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\xxx.xxx.com\F:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11217 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed. Make sure that all provider services and tasks are running. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

This document does not help out much:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316669.htm

Exact Error Message
"V-79-10000-11217 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed."

Details:

This issue occurs because VSS is unable to create a snapshot of the drive for the backup. Examine the Application and System Event logs for more detailed information about the errors.

Note: The most common source for VSS errors

Any ideas how to fix this?
8 REPLIES 8

Streamline_Tech
Level 3
Are you running any other third party software that has an automated defragmentation process?

Chris_L1
Level 4
Partner
could you look @ that target server and under Event Viewer - System there should be errors connected to VSS snapshot provider. Copy-paste them here and I'll help you out. Most of the cases restart of that server fix this issue :)

Matt34
Level 4
I do not believe so.  This is backing up SR Images on a server that only runs BE 12.5 and Symantec Endpoint.  During the time it is running, nothing is schedualed to go. 

Streamline_Tech
Level 3
I had a similar issue with Diskeeper running and there was an option to uncheck use of VSS, issue resolved.

Matt34
Level 4
Here is the Event:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 57755
Date: 5/13/2009
Time: 8:45:51 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxx
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Completed with Exceptions
(Server: "xxxxx") (Job: "xxxxx - SRO-xxxxx - SRO-Daily") The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered:

A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Chris_L1
Level 4
Partner
Matt, I wasn't able to find anything regarding this error (this event does not show much info). If this occurs frequently check out the VSS writers status with the following command under cmd:
> VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS
otherwise restart that server (if possible).

Matt34
Level 4
There are no errors and are all stable.  I will try to restart this weekend during maint. I believe we have already restarted this server before but the error continues to show up since the creation of the job (not to long ago, about a month or so).  

katp
Not applicable
I believe the issue with this, if you haven't solved it yet. Is that you are trying to backup exchange 2003 at the same time as your system. You need to create a second job that only backs up exchange and that should fix your issue.