cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Inventory jobs queue andrefuse to cancel??? Help plese....

Pidge3
Level 2
Can't get any inventory jobs to run the go direct to queued forever and when you press cancel it refuses to cancel. The only way then is to restart the backup exec services and fail the job.

All job to record media work successful so the library is able ot move tapes into drives but not able to inventory them or intialize.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Marc
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Perrin
Level 5
Go to the devices tab, click on the media server, pause it (if it is not paused) then unpause it, and the inventory jobs should work.

Voice of experience here.

David

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Mark,

What is the make and model of tape drive you are using?
Have you tried to install the latest Symantec drivers for 12.0x, and then try the inventory job again?

Laters!

Pidge3
Level 2
Using a 4560SLX LTO Robotic Library. Firmware is up to date.

Fault just randomly occured yesterday after working fine for months?

I'm out of ideas????

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Any errors on that device?
Have you checked the Alerts tab to make sure there is nothing showing up there?
Lastly, have you restarted your BEWS services?

Pidge3
Level 2
No errors. Library moves tapes fine as a stand alone device, and moves tapes for Backup Exec jobs but not for inventories.

Nothing in the alerts. Restarted many time.

AppleValleyCA
Level 3
I am also using Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers and am running into the same problem. Inventory Library Jobs pop up every day and stay queued. If I try to cancel the Inventory job, the Job status changes to Cancel Pending, but it will not actually cancel - it just sits there. The only way I have been able to clear the job is to restart the BE services.

I am using an Exabyte LTO 1x7 Autoloader, with the latest firmware from Exabyte. I also suspected it may have been an issue with the Autoloader and have contacted Exabyte (now Tandberg) becase I was also unable to unlock the Autoloader to swap the tapes. From BE, any Unlock jobs would do the same thing as the Inventory job does now. They ran me through a series of tests and eventually told me that Backup Exec is maintaining the locks and that the only way to swap the tapes when that happened was to power off the Autoloader > remove the SCSI cable > power it back on > swap the tapes, power t off > reattach the SCSI cable > power it back on. (I am currently looking at a different Autoloader for various reasons, one is the hassle of this problem). 

What is weird is that the unit also responds great for our differential (weekday) duplicate backup to tape jobs, but the full (weekend) backup to tape jobs are always a hassle. It will fail when writing to tape and will not work unless I restart the services and then manually restart the job - then it works just fine. I have the latest live updates. If anyone is ninja with logs or can lend a suggestion it would be most appreciated as sporadic issues are the pits...

Ed_B1
Level 3
Hi there,

We are having the exact same problem and it began last week. Backup Exec 12.5 latest SP and hotfixes. HP 1/8 G2 SAS LTO4 Autoloader with latest firmware.

All backup/restore jobs work fine.

Any Inventory, Import jobs etc just hang on "Queued" and  services need to be manually restared to clear it.

Tried everything we can think of and tearing our hair out over this one, so any hints pointing towards a solution would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Ed

David_Perrin
Level 5
Go to the devices tab, click on the media server, pause it (if it is not paused) then unpause it, and the inventory jobs should work.

Voice of experience here.

David

AppleValleyCA
Level 3
I have tried pausing and unpausing weeks ago and it doesn't work in my case. Maybe someone else will (hopefully) have some luck with it. I have tried restarting services, servers and devices in any number of combination I can think of. I am uninstalling BE 12.5 and trying out 2010. We'll see if it fixes whatever broke our B2T. It's pretty much the last attempt I am willing to give BE. I have been in contact with thier support for numerous problems that are supposedly fixed in patches that we have and are not. They say its our HBA or maybe out Autoloader, HP and Exabyte both say its BE (often mocking BE support btw). I am currently looking at a completely different system for next FISCAL.

Ed_B1
Level 3
Thanks a million for the fix. It worked a treat, we had been pausing and unpausing the library like there was no tomorrow, missed the option to unpause the server!

Cheers

Ed

randeep228
Not applicable
 Thanks David,

I just faced this problem today and was able to resolve it through your resolution given.