cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 License problem.

Thias
Level 3

I have a very frustrating problem with my "new" Backup Exec for Windows Servers 12.5 "Quick start".
I tried to solve the problem by calling the hotline for Licensing Problems, but that "service" is really hopeless... anyway.

I have installed BEfWS on a dedicated WinXPSP3.Machine an tried to back up a remote WSUS-Server (running on W2K3). Did not work - Protocol says something like "Servers are not supported by this version of Backup exec...." (I translated that from german.) I looked up the installed licenses under "help" and it says, that the "remote agent for windows systems" is installed. Now I wonder if there is a special Windows-Server-agent? I searched the whole symantec-website, but they describe only one agent for windows systems and it is made espacially for Windws servers...

Now I am confused.
Please help.

Greetings
Matthias (sorry for my bad english...)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
OK...well, yes and no. You can actually push the RAWS installation from the media server itself.
Log onto the server with the agent, and open up the RAWS agent utility. Check to make sure that it is publishing to your media server.
Once done, I would suggest restarting the RAWS agent on that server.
If that doesn't work, uninstall the agent, and then use your media server to push it out.
You will open up your selection list, right-click that server name/IP, and then choose the option to Install Remote Agent/Advanced Open File Option.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Hi,

When you installed BEWS, did you push your RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows) to that WSUS Server?

Laters!

Thias
Level 3
 Yep. Meaning- I put the installation-CD in the WSUS-Server and installed the agent directly.

CraigV
OK...well, yes and no. You can actually push the RAWS installation from the media server itself.
Log onto the server with the agent, and open up the RAWS agent utility. Check to make sure that it is publishing to your media server.
Once done, I would suggest restarting the RAWS agent on that server.
If that doesn't work, uninstall the agent, and then use your media server to push it out.
You will open up your selection list, right-click that server name/IP, and then choose the option to Install Remote Agent/Advanced Open File Option.

Thias
Level 3
 So I uninstalled the agent, reinstalled remotely, using the wizard on the backup-server. Restarted both machines. Checked the settings @ WSUS to publish to the backup-server.
Did it work? No. Sadly.
I am right now thinking about the fact, that WSUS is running on that server. WSUS is using a SQL-database. Is there a seperate license for that?

Thias
Level 3
 I have to correct myself. It is now working. The Advanced Opne File Option was missing.

CraigV
Great!