cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Missed tape backups and mediasets

serverguy78
Level 4
Hello, I'm new to Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 and I'm having some issues. I'm trying to run nightly backups on a system I didn't set up.My first question is why does Job Monitor says backup missed if the tape are in the tape drive? Where do I find back exec logs? Also there are some Media label sets that have a red X on on them. How do I re-enable them? I can't drag those into Scratch Media. I have one Media label set that is enabled and showing online. The others are showing offline. Does it matter which Media label set I use for tape backups? 
4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
My first question is why does Job Monitor says backup missed if the tape are in the tape drive? Where do I find back exec logs?

Double-click on the job in the Job History window and the job log will appear.  The reason for the failure will be in the job log

Also there are some Media label sets that have a red X on on them. How do I re-enable them?

These media are offline, i.e. they are are not available for use.  For example, tapes that have been moved off-site.  When you return them and they are available, the X will disappear.

Does it matter which Media label set I use for tape backups? 

Yes.  Because the media set contains the Overwrite Protection Period which determines how long is your data protected.

I would strongly suggest that you acquaint yourself with the Admin Guide which can be found in the BE installation directory.

serverguy78
Level 4
We have some sets of tapes that we move offline every week and back to servers. How do I make those off site tapes back online? We rotate four tapes  once a week on this server . All our tapes are set to overwrite. So is having one media set online ok?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
How do I make those off site tapes back online?

If you are using a tape library, then either do a scan or an inventory after you have place them in the library.  You only do a scan if you are using barcode labels. 

serverguy78
Level 4

Ok Now you kind of understand our setup. Here is my problem.We had media sets for tapes 1 2 3 4. Tapes. 1 2 3 tapes are offsite for a week in rotation. I bring tape 4 back to the server for a backup of the current week. When I put the tape drive in the server, I drag media label 4 to Scratch media. Then I go to devices/ and run inventory. My problem is that media label 4 still has a red X. When I run Inventory it doesn't enable media label 4.  Certance Devices only shows Lt0 media label. So my backup is missed in the log. How do i fix this problem?