cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Remote Agent won't start, Error 1053

timstumbo
Level 3

I just installed our old Backup Exec 12.5 on a brand new Server 2003 R2 x64 install. I made sure that that the software was completly up to date before I tried pushing out the Remote Agent. I tried pushing out the Remote Agent to the another Server 2003 R2 x64 which is our DC. Now, I can't get the Agent to start. I'm continuously getting the Error 1053 saying that service did not respond in a timely fashion. I've done alot of researching online and found about 20 articles that address that error with different kinds of fixes. I never knew a single error could be "fixed" so many different ways! Anyways, I've tried several things and I still can't get the Remote Agent to start.

I also wanted to mention that the DC previously had Backup Exec 2012 Remote Agent installed on it. I think I got that completely uninstalled before installing this old Agent, but I don't know if that could have anything to do with it or not. The media server did not have any Backup Exec software previously installed on it, it's a brand new build.

Thanks for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

timstumbo
Level 3

I finally got it working. I had to do a complete manual uninstall, deleting all files and folders and registry keys then rebooted the server. I then shared the agent files off the media server and did the install locally. Service is up and running now. I guess the problem was when I uninstalled the 2012 Agent it left a bunch of garbage behind.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Tim,

Please check the Event viewer and let us know the errors that are recorded in the Event viewer (Application log).

There may be one or more errors recorded so please provide them all.

Thanks,

-Sush...

timstumbo
Level 3

Nothing is being generated in the Application Log when I try to start the service. The weird thing is that  the service doesn't spin at all while trying to start it, it immedietly fails with error 1053.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Tim,

Please follow the steps below and provide the output file.

go to Command prompt and change directly to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS

Ones at this location run the following command:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS>beremote.exe >> C:\output.txt

Please provide this Output file generated on the C: drive

Thanks,

-Sush...

timstumbo
Level 3

I finally got it working. I had to do a complete manual uninstall, deleting all files and folders and registry keys then rebooted the server. I then shared the agent files off the media server and did the install locally. Service is up and running now. I guess the problem was when I uninstalled the 2012 Agent it left a bunch of garbage behind.