cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 SBS on HyperV

Hammerbrook
Level 2

Actually I am running a SBS on a HyperV machine. So therefore the tape for backups is put into an workstation running XP Pro.

I had no troubles using the test-version of BEWS 12.5 to backup my files from the server and other workstations.

I also have a license key for the SBS package as I am going to activate the Exchange server which has to be secured also. But this license refuses to run on the XP workstation (as partly expected).

How could I get my scenario running? Is there a way to get the license into the already installed BackupExec or could I run the SBS version on my Windows-SBS and access the tape through a Media Server on the XP workstation. And if so, would the SBS license cover this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
   Jogi

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No way to share the tape drive from the XP media server to the SBS server. If you can attach the tape drive to your Hyper-V host running SBS then your problem is solved.

Thanks!

Hammerbrook
Level 2

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfourtunately I don't think that the Hyper-V Server supports this, so I can not plug in (virtually) my tape drive to the server.

The device(s) I have support SATA and USB.

So the only working solution seems to be the one where the Backup Exec installation is done on the workstation.

How can I get my license into this scenario?

Tanks,
   Jogi

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It's probably not possible as it is a different OS. Only other way is to try get your licenses converted to normal BE 12.5 licenses with an Exchange agent, or reload the workstation with SBS...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To use the SBS version BE 12.5, you need to load it onto a machine with a SBS OS.  Any other OS will not do.