cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 SP2 push installation of remote agent fails on when remote server is Windows 2008

dougz
Level 4
I what sounds like a similar problem.  I can't push install Backup Exec remote agent to Server 2008 x64 machines (have never tried Server 2008 x86 machines).  I am logged on to the Backup Exec Media server machine as the domain administrator, and I'm using the domain administrator credentials in the push dialog as well.  This is also the account that runs all the Backup Exec services on the media server.  This problem is driving me crazy, especially as I deploy more 2008 machines.  If anyone knows how to fix this, PLEASE share.  Thanks.

I'm currently using Backup Exec 12.5 SP2 with all the latest hotfixes, and I have two separate identical Backup Exec Media servers, and neither of them can successfully push install the RAWS to Server 2008 x64 machines.

The installation log always says the following:

09-22-2009,15:32:37 : The current user does not have write access to the C:\Windows\Installer directory.
09-22-2009,15:32:37 : The current user does not have write access to the C:\Program Files directory.
09-22-2009,15:32:37 : The install could not verify that the user has rights to required install folders.

09-22-2009,15:32:37 : A fatal error occurred during installation on server 'MYSERVER'.
09-22-2009,15:32:37 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 1603.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EndUser1
Level 2

After several months of dealing with a feature that should work and talking to tech support and listening to them attempt trial and error on a variation of this procedure and then realizing that maintaining my backup server is a manual process that requires finding solutions that Symantec can't figure out, Try this:

On your Media server-
1.Browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents
2. Go to the agent folder you are having issues with. (RAWS32 or RAWSX64, etc)
3. Goto the Updates Folder
3. Create a folder called OLD and move all of the updates ending with .msp to the OLD folder

32-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWS322213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32\Updates folder

64-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWSx642213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Updates folder

4. Try and push a remote agent install now..

Basically, you would expect when you upgrade your BE12.x installation, the install process would check this folder and make sure the proper updates are in this folder and remove any updates (.msp files) that arent needed.

In the case of 12.5 SP3, One would expect the SP3 agent update to contain all previous SP1. post-SP1, SP2 and post-SP2 hotfixes but with Symantec, you never know.

If you check the version of the remote agent on the remote server by going into the Backup tab on the media server, selecting a server and then selecting properties. If the version says anything other than x.x.x.158 then stop and restart the agent on the remote server, hit F5 in your Backup source selections and check the version properties again.
(ie, I see version 12.5.2213.158 after all is said and done)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dougz
Level 4
Of course the user account DOES have access to all the directories on the remote machines, so I don't see how it can be a permissions issue.  Additionally, I can push install the RAWS to Server 2003 machines without any trouble.  Also, if it matters, I should mention that the Backup Exec Media server is a sever 2003 machine (x86).  I'm able to manually install the agent on the Server 2008 machines without any trouble.  However, as I deploy more and more 2008 machines, it becomes more difficult to keep the remote agents up to date.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Dan_D1
Level 2
After months of this issue...many thanks for the above solution.

I had SP1 and SP2 updates listed in the updates folder, removed those as described above, and left only those updates after SP3 and all installed perfectly!

Many thanks again!

dougz
Level 4
Thanks for the solution!  It worked for me.  So glad to finally have this one solved.  It's been driving me insane.  Thanks again!!

EndUser1
Level 2

After several months of dealing with a feature that should work and talking to tech support and listening to them attempt trial and error on a variation of this procedure and then realizing that maintaining my backup server is a manual process that requires finding solutions that Symantec can't figure out, Try this:

On your Media server-
1.Browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents
2. Go to the agent folder you are having issues with. (RAWS32 or RAWSX64, etc)
3. Goto the Updates Folder
3. Create a folder called OLD and move all of the updates ending with .msp to the OLD folder

32-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWS322213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWS32\Updates folder

64-bit
If you have recently installed SP3 for v12.5, move only the RAWSx642213RSP3.msp file back
into the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\RAWSX64\Updates folder

4. Try and push a remote agent install now..

Basically, you would expect when you upgrade your BE12.x installation, the install process would check this folder and make sure the proper updates are in this folder and remove any updates (.msp files) that arent needed.

In the case of 12.5 SP3, One would expect the SP3 agent update to contain all previous SP1. post-SP1, SP2 and post-SP2 hotfixes but with Symantec, you never know.

If you check the version of the remote agent on the remote server by going into the Backup tab on the media server, selecting a server and then selecting properties. If the version says anything other than x.x.x.158 then stop and restart the agent on the remote server, hit F5 in your Backup source selections and check the version properties again.
(ie, I see version 12.5.2213.158 after all is said and done)

ehollenback
Level 3
That solution worked for me as well!  You would think that this either should not affect it or it should be done automatically by backup exec during the update process.  Thanks so much for posting it and saving me a lot of time & aggravation!