cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 SP3 and hp Ultrium 960 LTO3 trouble

Mooninite
Level 3
Hi!
I'm currently in the process of installing new backup server and ran out into some trouble...

I have a hp ProLiant DL140 G2 with Windows 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition installed, the OS has an SP2 and all critical updates installed.
Then I connected an hp Ultrium 960 LTO3 SCSI External Tape Drive to it, installed Backup Exec v12.5 x64 and applied through LiveUpdate SP3 and all hotfixes. Also installed the latest Backup Exec drivers for the tape drive.

And tried a test backup job, which failed with the alert window stating "The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi3, did not respond within the timeout period." and following erros in windows' application log, all the events have the same id - 33152:
  • "Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:03:00 - Retry Logic: Original settings restored on device: HP Ultrium 3-SCSI",
  • "Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:03:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 00, new handle 538, error 1117",
  • "Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:03:00 - Retry Logic: Retry logic was engaged on device: HP Ultrium 3-SCSI",
  • "Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 03:00:03:00 - Device error 1117 on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 0a, 3 total errors",
  • "Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure!
    Error = ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION
    Drive = "HP 1"
    {E47D2A78-73D1-4301-8F2D-396FD3840A79}
    Media = "Wednesday"
    {A0F014B4-83F5-46A6-B6FE-B65BC230BA32}
    Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
    Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)"
Then I tried to run hp L&TT utility to troubleshoot the drive, but with no success - it said that no driver is installed. I tried to install the latest hp drivers, but also no luck until I found here on the forum this idea: "1. turn off the server and disconnect the drive; 2. turn on the server; 3. turn it off again and connect the drive; 4. turn on and after booting finishes turn on the drive." After this manipulations L&TT found the drive and I was able to test (which reported that device is just fine) it and update firmware to the latest one. But Backup Exec is not working and after normal reboot everything is back to "not working at all".

I'm kinda out of options how to fix this erros, so I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/305233
 HP Server Management Agents Software installed might be causing the issue .

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Romax

Could you please check the Windows system log, if you are getting event id's 7,9,11 or 15 then refer to the below link.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Moe_Howard
Level 4
The fact that L&TT is having a similar issue indicates there is an underlying hardware problem.

It's quite common to attach the SCSI cable to the wrong port on the back of the drive and to have bad termination too.  All of the HP external SCSI tape drives are self-terminating as indicated by a term LED on the back of the drive.  The two SCSI ports are marked IN and OUT.  By connecting to the IN port, the drive's termination will enable.  You do not need to connect a terminator to the drive.  Double check your cabling taking in to consideration what I'v mentioned above.

Also, do not connect the tape drive to an external SCSI port of a RAID controller unless HP supports this type of configuration.  Lastly, examine the pins on the SCSI cable's ends to ensure none of them are bent.  It's real easy to bend a pin on the HD68 SCSI cables.  I would also recommend trying a different SCSI cable too if all else fails.

From the SCSI HBA side...you may want to reset the cards BIOS to the defaults.  If you have an Adaptec SCSI controller...then I believe it's Ctrl-C to get in to the BIOS during POST and then F6 one the main menu or somewhere near there.  I've seen this resolve some of my hardware issues.

Have you also tried a complete power off/on of the server and tape drive?  Sometimes the simplest things will resolve these types of problems.

Good luck...

Mooninite
Level 3
I thick I checked everything... The cable was connected like it should be, the SCSI adapter is the one recommended by hp. Tried to turn on/off a couple of times.
Then I unchecked "Write SCSI pass-through mode" checkbox on the "Configuration" tab of Drive properties in Backup Exec and it looks like it helped.. Regarding this solution: does this have any disadvanteges?

But a new problem arose: I can't restore individual messages from Exchange backup, the error is "0xe00002fe - Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again".
The user account from which I'm doing this operation is Enterprise Administrator, has an activated mailbox and is not hidden from GAL.. Also the credetials test in job creation window completes succesfully.
Tried to reinstall "Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" both on the Exchange and on the Backup Exec Servers with no success...
I kinda ran out options here...