cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Services stopping

AndyComputers
Level 3
In a previous post about a month back, I was having a problem with backup exec 12.5 and the services. If i logged into the server during the day and opend backup exec, then the scheduled job would run that night, but if I didn't log in and open up backup exec, the job wouldn't run. Someone from here had requested the I uninstall/re-install the .NETframework. Since my last post, I have un/re the .NETframework and to no avail, still have the same exact problem. The scheduled job may or may not run and if you don't log-in to backup exec then your pretty much guaranteed that the job will not run that day. If I have the program open from a previous day, and try to manually run a job, it then tells me that the services has been stopped and gives me the option to restart them, by doing so will allow me to run the scheduled backup. This is an EVERYDAY thing and the customer is really on my case about it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Backup exec 12.5 running on windows server 2008 basic.

backing up to tape drive.
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Andy,

Stand-alone server, or pointing to a CASO? If pointing to a CASO, localise your device and media information, as well as your catalogs. Slow links cause the services to stop if the "heartbeat" (so to speak) is too slow.
If a stand-alone, have you looked at Event Viewer for any error messages relating to BEWS? Have you looked at your alerts?
Is your service account a member of the Local Admins group, and have you made sure its not getting locked out for some reason?

Laters!

AndyComputers
Level 3
Thanks for the reply Craig,

The server is a stand alone and the only program that is on it is the backupexec software and antivirus. I'm not getting an error report, it doesn't act as if the device is actually malfunctioning persae, it just stops the services randomly.

I have read over a few other post and I have just tried to delete all previous policies and create a new one. I will see how this works and will post an update in about 24 hours.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
The device going offline at all? Have you looked at updating the drivers to the latest version, and installing the latest service pack for BEWS?

AndyComputers
Level 3
The device doesn't appear to be going offline. I have tried something new today, since i logged in this morning the services have to no avail, yet stopped again. So, in return I have double checked the way that the policy is setup and Ive changed the "device" in the policy screen. Under devices before I made this change, it was set to CERTANCE 01, and I changed it to All devices SVR02. Im just wondering if maybe the services are stopping because of that. What still floors me about this whole situation is that if I log into the server every morning, then that night my backup will work. If I don't login to the server every morning it will not backup and will show that the backup was missed because the services have not started.

Thank everyone for the continued support on this matter.