cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Urgent issue with failed jobs - 0xe00084af error

bates81
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am currently in desperate need of some technical assistance regarding an issue my company has with one of our File and Print servers backups failing every night. The server is very critical to our infrastructure as it houses all of the shares.

Backups have run fine for the last 3 weeks, until the Friday just gone. We run full backups every Friday and then incrementals against the majority of the backups through the week. We have NO issues with any other backup jobs running or servers included in the schedules.

The server in question is a Win 2008 x64.
We're using BE 12.5 SP4 on our primary backup server. Which is a Win 2003 x64 server.
We have another Win 2008 x64 server, which were currently trialing BE2010 on before making the switch over.

I have tried to run backup jobs on both platforms against the server in question, both with the same results, which I will expand on now.

I have obviously tried to research this already, there are so many blogs and discussions about it, pointing at a multitude of things. For reference, I have fun a full CHKDSK on both drives in the server. Errors were found and corrected on both drives. This was done last night. Server is also fully WSUS patched to date.

On top of the below errors, I have also seen two others in the event log on the server in question, the first below which is related to Shadow Protection I believe. However, this is disabled on both drives on the server in question, yet I'm seeing the error whenever the job fails.

Log Name:      System
Source:        volsnap
Date:          24/01/2012 07:05:56
Event ID:      36
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.com
Description:
The shadow copies of volume E: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

The second error is a little bit more concerning - Predictive Failure reported: Physical Disk 0:0:0 Controller 0, Connector 0 (Event ID 2094) I'm seeing 4-5 of these a day now, our alert system didnt pick up on it, it was something I picked up by happening to look at the logs for this error. The drive it is reporting is the O/S drive. The shared drive is a seperate volume (E) and no predictive fail is being picked up on that drive, only C.

Firstly, the error Backup Exec fails with:

Job ended: 24 January 2012 at 07:06:28
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33967

Always the same error, against anything on the E drive, which is where all the shares are. Doesnt matter what size the job is, this is always the outcome.

Again, no other server is experiencing any issues, only the one.

Having taken a look at the event logs on the server in question. I have found the following 3 errors, that coincides with the backup job failing.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Backup Exec
Date:          24/01/2012 07:05:57
Event ID:      57481
Computer:      xxxx.xxx.xxx.com
Description:
An unusual error (21) was encountered while enumerating the contents of the directory:

It is possible that files or subdirectories have not been backed up. Please examine your job log or catalogs to ensure this directory tree was backed up in its entirety.

-----------------------------------------

Date:          24/01/2012 07:05:57
Event ID:      57484
Description:
Error querying extended attributes (EAs) for the following file:

\\xxxx

-----------------------------------------

Date:          24/01/2012 07:05:56
Event ID:      57476
Description:
The operating system returned an unusual error while backing up the following file:

I'm starting to tear whats left of my hair out over this, alot of pressure from people high up because of the criticality of the server in question. My colleagues have also looked but their level of experience with the application is far less than my own.

Is the drive failing causing the backups to also fail? Is the volsnap error the cause of the fails?

If anyone has anything they can advide to try, or help with, I will be eternally greatful.

Thank you for your time.

Many thanks,
Rob

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) When the job fails with "File or Directory not found" do you see any list of  files or directories 

in the job log, if yes then do you see the same files & directories at the source location.

2) Use AOFO for the flat file backups.

3) Make sure AV scan is not running during the backup window.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd firstly make sure your drives aren't really going to fail any time soon. I've personally had a failing drive in a RAID5 array fail backups.

If the server in question is a branded server like HP, Dell or IBM, check to see the array utility and make sure that no drives are failing. If they are, replace them urgently and run a backup again. You might find that your backup issues will clear up allowing successful backups to run again.

THanks!