cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 and Hyper-V Questions - Licensing

PCAU
Level 4
Hey

I've got some questions mainly regarding the licensing im hoping someone can answer.

I'm looking into setting up a new Hyper-V Server and wondering if I can get away with NOT purchasing the special Hyper-V remote agent in the following senarios if I don't require the features of this remote agent.

1) Can I backup the virtual machine files/vhd over network shared from the media server? I realise VSS/AOFO will not function without a remote agent so the VMs cannot be running during the backup.

2) Can I use a normal Windows server remote agent on a dedicated Hyper-V server? Will it even install? and if it will, is this a breach of the licensing? I'm hoping it's ok as I do not require the advanced functionality of the Hyper-V remote agent at this stage and it should allow me to backup the VHDs using VSS.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
There should be no problem with using a regular remote agent software. It will be a file level backup which you can do like any other regular windows machine. So, all you need is install remote agent software on the hyper-v server and in Backup Exec selection list, include that server and the vhd files there in backup. Make sure to turn on AOFO in the backup job properties for protecting these files. This will be a regular file level backup and restore. Please note that in order to perform this operation from another Backup Exec server, you may need to purchase a remote agnet license. Also, you will not be getting the features that are available in Hyper-V agent, which can perform online backup and consistent restore. So, definitely Hyper-V agent will be recommended, but from short term perspective, regular file level backup can be used. Make sure to test a backup and restore.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

PCAU
Level 4
Thanks, I actually called up the customer care line and was pretty much told that it wouldn't work (well there was no guarentee with a live VM) but it was not going to create any licensing issues which I was concerned over.

Funnily enough I have tried it, and it doesn't work, well it backs up the VM directory where the VHDs are stored, but the VHD files and AVHD files are skipped without any mention in the logs. This is with a VM turned on, and also off! Double checked that the VHD files are selected, but for some strange reason they are skipped. Is this a built in 'restriction' to the non virtual agent ????

PCAU
Level 4
Someone else is having the same issue with VHD files being skipped.

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/80660

Can anyone confirm this is "by design" when using the non virtual agent ?

Username-Steven
Level 2
I agree that there should be some sort of notice that various "normally" in-use files have been skipped.

If you follow these instructions and prior to backup, you shut down your VMs, the vhds should be backed up.

These are the answers:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321686.htm
which doesn't say you need to stop the services and
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm
which directs you to stop the services.

teiva-boy
Level 6
In my experience, you need to stop the services to pick up the VHD files, plain and simple.  When NOT using the virtual agent.

However, with the new licensing changes in BE2010, and the price going down for the virtual agent, it makes absolutely zero sense to NOT get the agent.  Basically if you virtualize about 4 guests or more, it's a no brainer.  Not only does it save you on licensing, but you get the operational benefit of snapshot based backups using VSS.

MitchR
Level 6
It's been a while since I did this (v11 ??), but when I selected jus the VHD files, and ran a backup, it crashed the VM.  The only way (short of the Hyper-V agent) to get a backup of VHD files to to stop the VM.  Then you can run a backup, or copy the VHD file.

So, ya - to backup a VM you really need to install the agent inside of the VM, or buy the Hyper-V agent.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Although I was not aware Backup Exec had this for VHD or VMDK files - Backup Exec features Active File exclusion for specific files and file types that either should not be backed up at all (swap files etc), should be backed up by a specific mechanisms in the core product (i.e System State and Shadow Copy comoments) or should be backed up with an Agent or Option (Exchange EDB, SQL .MDF etc)

Warnings are not present in jobs logs that these files are skipped because the job logs would be stuffed full of warnings and then be difficult to spot the real warnings as such it is a 'silent' exclusion.

It is possible to disable Active File Excusion - but not recommended.

Also as an aside against something in original posters comments - to backup over a network share legally and technically you need a remote agent for windows license on th media server.