cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 backup exchange 2007

tymattcs
Level 3

I have a backup server running on Windows 2003 backup an Exchange server 2007 on Windows 2008.   Everything was running okay for years until about 2 weeks ago.  It failed pretty much right away with error, 0x8004230f.  I done research on it and found to be problem with the Microsoft Shadow copy.  When I did a vssadmin list writer, it is showing up Microsoft Exchange Writer in failed stage with timed-out.  I have to restart the Information Store to get the exchange writer in stable stage.

Please help as I am running out of options.

Thanks in advance,

Kwok

15 REPLIES 15

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Please click on link below to reregister VSS & restart the exchange server & then try to do backup

On same side ensure BE 12.5 is fully patched with sp4 & update above & also ensure remote agent on exchange server is fully patched up too if you update BE 12.5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70486

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you're wrong here. After reregistering the VSS *.dlls, there is NO need to restart the server. It does everything live without affecting the server in ANY way.

If the OP runs the vssadmin command again, it'll show the writers all stable and running, and if not, then there are further issues...

RRE
Level 6

VSS patches for win server 2008. Make sure you will confirm the operating system you are using & accordingly install the patches

Windows 2008 SP2 Hotfix - KB970770

Windows 2008 R2 patch - KB976099, KB975921

New Hotfix for Windows

Windows server 2008 - KB975832, KB973553

Regards

RRE

RRE
Level 6

Hi there,

Is the os win 2008 sp2 OR win 2008 R2

Regards

RRE

tymattcs
Level 3

Thanks everyone, I will let you know how it goes.

tymattcs
Level 3

Okay, done all as recommended.  Now I am getting a different error,

e0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them.

tymattcs
Level 3

Restarted the Exchange Information store, went back to the same error.

tymattcs
Level 3

Please help, both Microsoft Exchange Writer and Shadow Copy Optimization writer have "Failed" as state and Timed out as last error.

RRE
Level 6

Did you rebooted the server after installing the patches , if not please do so & then run the backup

Regards

RRE

tymattcs
Level 3

Yes, I already rebooted the exchange server, still not working.

RRE
Level 6

HI,

At present , what is the status of vss writers on the exchange server.

what are the event id's you get on the Exchange server related to vss.

What is the error msg you get while backing up exchange database

Does the vss writer fails only during backup OR they are always in a failed state

Note- If vss writer are not getting stable even after installing the patches & re-registering the dll's , backups will definately fail. So first you have to fix the vss errors.

Regards

RRE

CraigV

...try seeing if the Windows Backup Utility can back up the Information Store without those writers failing. If it also fails, the issue lies with Microsoft and you might want to check into repairing the writers via MS.

tymattcs
Level 3

VSS failed only when the backup kick in.

Event ID:  8193 and 12293

Error : 8004230f - 0x8004230f (2147754767)  (from Backup Exec)

CraigV

...so try using the built-in backup utility in Windows...

tymattcs
Level 3

Not Working