cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 backups Domino Server 8.5

nesel
Level 4

Hi There,

Does any one could share trying to backup Lotus Domino 8.5 using Backup Exec 12.5 media server? Base on the compatibility list, I can't find Domino v8.5 is supported.

Here is the scenario we have, we installed (actually re-install) BEWS 12.5 client locally since push installed have a warning about RPC service is unavailable. We backup this folder on the Domino server, a folder where ".NSF" files are located. the folder total capacity is about 96GB. We ran backed up and it was successful. Going to the details of backup, total backup size is only about 4-6GB only.

Trooubleshooting I did:

1. Check firewall (enabled) on Domino server - try to disable firewall and do backup. Successful but 4-6GB of data only.

2. Try to add Domain administrator account on the folder to be backup on the Domino server. Successful but 4-6GB of data only.

3. Change the BEWS agent logon in the Domino server from local account to domain account. Successful but 4-6GB of data only.

I can't say that compression makes the amount of data from 96GB to only 6GB, I try to initiate restore and I can see that almost 50% of ".NSF" are not being backup.

Could anyone help me on this case? Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nesel
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Just wanna share update, my client advised me that they already resolved the problem ("complete backup of lotus domino server folder" 90+GB). As per client, its all about firewall settings between master and client, they disable some ports. I don't wanna go back from how I troubleshot the issue since I took the chance to discuss the firewall when I 'am on site.

For now, they're arranging the renewal of the product (BEWS) and I 'am looking forward to upgrade of their BEWS version . :)

Thanks a lot guys,

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RRE
Level 6

Backup of lotus domino 8.5 is supported by BE 2010 or BE 2010 R2

here is the SCL for the same

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

Regards

RRE

RRE
Level 6

Additional document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22539

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

BE 12.5 doesnot support Domino 8.5 but BE 2010 r2 do support domino 8.5

So please upgrade to BE 2010 r2 which support domnio 8.5

Please refer the S/W compatiblity list for 2010 & 12.5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH62301

This is link to download BE 2010 r2 please download 3.21 gb iso file

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=93355

link for BE 2010 r2 sp1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH143670

Please mark this solved if this answer your questions

Cheers :) keep posted

Thank You

nesel
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I really appreciate your inputs, thank you very much. One thing on my mind that keeps bothering me, client says that backup their backup on this particular folder (lotus notes) is good, achiving the 90GB+ on their backup. And I wonder how it is possible since I read it on the compatibility list that 8.5 is not supported. Im finding a way on how to verify this information that the client is telling us (if it is true). Any recommendation how?

Another thing is, can a BEWS 12.5 media server backups BEWS 2010 r2 client? For now I'm looking into upgrading client to address or prove that Domino 8.5 is working fine on BEWS 2010 and not on BEWS 12.5..  I know, it is more ideal and best practice that media server must be upto date than the client.

Thanks and BR

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are running Domino 8.5.2, then you need BE 2010 R2.  BE 2010 will not be able to back up Domino 8.5.2

nesel
Level 4

Hi pkh,

Client only give me Domino 8.5. but regardless on the release update, like Domino 8.5.x, still BEWS 12.5 cant backup the Domino right?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 12.5 can only back up up to Domino 8.0.2, definitely not Domino 8.5.  There were some users who tried to backup Domino 8.5.x with BE 12.5 and they have reported problems on this forum.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

About your question can a BEWS 12.5 media server backups BEWS 2010 r2 client? No BEWS 12.5 Media server cannot backup remote agent with BEWS2010 it is never froward comptaible

Yes if you BE2010 as media server then with 12.5 remote agent it can still work but not a best practisce

For now I'm looking into upgrading client to address or prove that Domino 8.5 is working fine on BEWS 2010 and not on BEWS 12.5..  I know, it is more ideal and best practice that media server must be upto date than the client.

As i understand your scenario you can prove our client by installing BE 2010 r2 sp1 on different server as like test server & then upgrade remote agent to BE2010 r2 sp1 & then see if that works & if your client is ok with that , If yes then later on you can upgrade you existing BE 12.5 media server to BE 2010 r2 sp1 & upgrade all your remote client too & finally you can uninstall BE 2010 from your test server

Hope this helps

Keep posted

nesel
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the reply, I'm just wondering how can I push the upgrade for the client from BEWS 12.5 to BEWS 2010 and say their is incompatibility between BEWS12.5 and BEWS 2010 since, they show me a proof that they have a successful backup on their Domino before. I attached screenshot of the client proof that they have good backup. This screenshot is from their old BEWS 12.5 server runnning on Windows 2003. Now, BEWS 12.5 media server runs on Windows 2008 server.

Thanks,

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Nesel if that has been working in the past or till now that is good but if that is not working that mean there is some issue either from domino side or backupexec side but as with your exisiting version that is 12.5 then we can diagnose as it has not been tested with this version & that is the reason it is not supported

So my only recommendation would be to have proper support from symantec & to have consistent backup & restore I would recommend upgrading to BE 2010

Also doing the backup would not be a prrof of it is working fine in the past have you ever tried doing restore & have confirmed if that was able to restore with 12.5.

I hoe you & your client understand the same & you will upgrade it to BE 2010 to get consistent backup & restore

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you use an unsupported and it works, you are lucky, but there is no guarantee that it will work forever and that all the backups are good.  If you run into trouble, you would not be able to open a support case with Symantec.  Basically, you are on your own.  If your client wants to take that risk, it is their perogative, but you got to warn them of the risk.

nesel
Level 4

Hi Guys!

Thank you very much for your inputs, I'll make a bullet notes so that when I go back to client, I'll discuss their benefits and consequences if they'll upgrade to 2010 or stay with 12.5 . I really , really want to push the upgrade, its for their own (client) benefits also, as well for the System Integrator/Local Maintenance.

I'll keep you posted, hope I'll convince the client.

Thanks and BR

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Seems a good plan & also as suggested in above post if you want you suggest them even to install BE 2010 r2 on test machine & see all works & then once tested go with upgrade

I will wiat for your further update

Thank You

nesel
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Just wanna share update, my client advised me that they already resolved the problem ("complete backup of lotus domino server folder" 90+GB). As per client, its all about firewall settings between master and client, they disable some ports. I don't wanna go back from how I troubleshot the issue since I took the chance to discuss the firewall when I 'am on site.

For now, they're arranging the renewal of the product (BEWS) and I 'am looking forward to upgrade of their BEWS version . :)

Thanks a lot guys,