cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 contract renewal

PowerLineIT
Not applicable
Hey all,

I was just contacted by our CDW agent and he stated that our Backup Exec 12.5 contract is up for renewal and we need to renew it to be able to receive product updates and technical support from Symantec. This is news to me because I wasn't the employee that ordered Backup Exec at the time, and because of this, was not aware that we purchased a Backup Exec contract in the first place.

Here is the description on the purchase order, if it helps out at all:

RNW BE AGT F/EXCH 12.5 WIN SRV BAS S

Mfg#: SY1-14354212

He stated that we should renew since this covers the Exchange agent, and we don't want to mess that up since it's more than likely a vital part of our system.
So the questions are:

Are we not only eligible for product updates, but also upgrades to the next version of Symantec Backup Exec once it becomes available?

Would we not receive technical support for Backup Exec if we don't renew this contract? The very few times I've contacted technical support, they've asked me for a support ID, and I've told them we didn't have one (because I was unaware if we did, but it looks like we did since we had a support contract) - and they've connected me to a technician, but I'm not sure if they just looked up the company name and found the support ID that way.

Thanks for the assistance!
1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
You can still download hotfixes and Service Packs - you will however not be eligible to upgrade to BE2010 unless you buy it separately and you will not be able to log official support cases (these forums will still be accessible though)

Also if your supplier is saying you have a support agreement then he should have provided you with your Support ID - you will need to take up why this was not supplied previously with them.

If you are having problems clarifying this then I would recommend you contact the Symantec customer care team to see if they can assist in identifying what levels of support apply to your company.