Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 *.dr not created after full backup is done

Alvin_Quah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
guys,

I have this problem after my initial install. My Server is windows 2003 sbs sp2 and the backup exec is 12.5 SBS premium sp3 and the latest hotfixes.

I have scheduled my backup as well as setup DLO for my user. They are working properly. I am trying to setup the intelligent disaster recovery (idr) and i got stuck halfway. I have dedicate my alternate path for storing my idr information during the wizard. Next i proceed to perform a full backup and run the idr preparation wizard to create the bootdisk. An error appear stating that the idr information cannot be created or found and ensure that remote agent for windows is installed. I have checked that i have all the necessary license installed.

Accordingly to the backup exec admin guide, whenever a backup is performed, it will update the *.dr file if we have idr fuction installed. And the path is c:\program fies\symantec\backup exec\idr\data. The problem is my file are not created whenever I performed a full backup! below are the steps that I have performed but to no avail. Please help! Thanks

- Update to latest patches via live update
- Checked that the file selection does not exclude file during backup
- Disable AOFO
- Specify alternate idr information path
- Checked registry allow creation of *.dr file
- renamed idr folder and reinstalled backup exec by clicking on repair. Reboot server and backup again. But dr file still not created.

Alvin Quah
11 REPLIES 11

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

We need to perform FULL backup of the System Drive...that is the C-drive by default (Selecting the entire Drive....do not unselect anything) the System state and shadow Copy components in ONE job.

Alvin_Quah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
thank Dev for your reply.

Basically i have performed a full backup, including selecting the C-drive and D-Drive, as well as the system state and shadow copy in a single job. I am not getting the dr generated. strange thing though. I have tested in couple of test machine simulating the environment they are all working fine.

Alvin

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Uncheck the IDR option in Licensing and recheck it again.

Tools-->Install Options and License-->Uncheck IDR finish the install...recheck it again and try a full backup again.

Alvin_Quah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi Dev, thanks for your quick response. I have done the above as recommended. I have even tried to rename the IDR folder in the path c:\program fies\symantec\backup exec\ and reinstalled backup exec by repairing. No luck as well.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

We do not get the message ".DR file was successfully created" in the job logs?

Is it possible could you please attach the successful job logs?

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I found something:

To force a .DR file to be created or updated even though some files and/or folders are excluded, modify the DR Update Allow Excludes registry key which is located in the registry path given below: The below mentioned steps is only applicable from versions 8.6 until 10d
  • Open the Windows registry and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\IDR.
  • Double-click on DR Update Allow Excludes key and change the value to 1.
  • Stop and then Start the Backup Exec services for the registry setting to take effect.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274187
How to force a .DR file to be created or updated even though some files and/or folders are excluded during a backup when the IDR (Intelligent Disaster Recovery) option is enabled...

Hope this helps...

Alvin_Quah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
thanks dev for your update.

fyi, http://support.veritas.com/docs/274187
How to force a .DR file to be created or updated even though some files and/or folders are excluded during a backup when the IDR (Intelligent Disaster Recovery) option is enabled...

I have already performed this as well. I have verified that my registry setting is set to "1".

Dev_T
Level 6
Are you getting the following message in the Successful job logs:

".DR file was successfully created"

Could you please attach the job logs

Alvin_Quah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I am not getting the message ".DR file was successfully created". I am sure cause I have checked the job log couple of times. I can't attached the job log now as I do not have the attached log with me and i do not have access to the backup exec server. i will update tommorrow.

P.S. What could be the reason if i am not getting the message ".DR file was successfully created"? Does it means that the feature IDR is not enabled in backup exec? I am sure that the option is already ticked in the local install option and my license is actually as below;

- Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows 2003 Small Business Server Premium Edition
- Remote Agent for Windows System

Thanks

Alvin_Quah
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi i have attached the job log download link. thanks

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/805955010/f12985d044ba03d8cbfd868420ecc14a

Alvin_Quah
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi i have attached the job log download link. thank