cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers revision 2213 Hotfix 334837

pavlosmillburn
Not applicable
Be aware - live update loaded this update on my media server.

Once updated could no longer access system state on the media server but ok on remote servers.
Checked all agents updated, rebooted server, checked VSS all ok

Uninstalled the update and hey presto all ok again.

I would suggest Symantec check this update thoroughly as if it has happened to one user it bound to affect more!

Very poor update and a worrying site in my backup console seeing a failed backup today. Now ran it at lunchtime with update uninstalled all ok.

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Was your backup user  not a domain admin or Backup Operator and was the Media Server also a Domain Controller?

Reason for question is that hotfix introduces the reporting of an error if your credentials are invalid - when previously (due to an operating system issue) there were some System State components that were not protected (and not alerted) if your credentials were too restricted.

Colin_Weaver

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
With this hotfix we added some changes to system state backups.  Make sure that the user specified for the Backup Exec service account is part of the domain admins and backup operators.  We had to add the changes to the system backups because of an issue with Windows 2003. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2005257&sd=rss&spid=3198

Colin_Weaver
It appears that as well as needing to be a Domain Admin/Backup Operator, you do have to make sure that your credentials are specified as

DOMAIN_NAME\USER_NAME

and NOT just
USER_NAME.

In order to protect the System State (and therefore the Active Directory Components)

ferplast
Level 3
Any news about this problem?
This is my situatiuon: the Backup Exec server is member of DOMAIN1; with this server I backup also servers that are member of another domain (DOMAIN2) by adding other User Logon Account. Into BackupExec I've set a System account of DOMAIN1 (member of Backup Operators and Domain Admins) and this backup correctly the SystemState of the domain controller of DOMAIN1.
I've another job that backup the SystemState of the domain controller of DOMAIN2, I've set the logon credential of DOMAIN2 that is member of Backup Operatorsand Domain Admins but I receive ths error:

The error that I receive is:
e000fe7d - Access is denied.
To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65149

BEFORE LATEST HOTFIXES ALL WORKS FINE ON BOTH SYSTEM STATE BACKUP OF BOTH DOMAIN CONTROLLER (OF DOMAIN1 AND DOMAIN2)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I think that is some bug/problem on the latest hotfixes.
Thanks fon any solutions
Nicola

rwgagnon
Level 3
I have been having this issue, as well. Started beginning of last week, so am guessing that the hotfix must have caused it (it was installed the same date.) Tried adding the System Admin user (which is the user for the SBE) to the Backup Operators, as suggested (though being an Admin should have precluded the need for this.) Anyway, successful test of system state backup only made me think that it might have worked, but next morning, the full backup had the error again. I will remove the hotfix and try again tonight.

Very frustrating and time consuming this has been...