cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 job rate extremely slow

Backup_Exec_BAR
Level 3
GoodDay, we were running 10d before and changed over to 12.5 this weekend. On 10d we were hitting rates at about 1,200mb per minute or over and now on 12.5 we can only reach 71mb per minute. We are using windows server 2003 SP2, IBM ULTRIUM-TD2 LTO64K, our buffer count is 10. Is there any configurations I need to change?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hey man,

Do you have multiple remote servers to back up? If so, did you push out the BEWS 12.5 agent to these servers?
I've also attached a couple of web pages to check out too:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/231488.htm

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285756.htm

Backup_Exec_BAR
Level 3
Hey, yes we did push the agent to all the servers we are pulling the information from. The 10d version was working very well, but this 12.5 only hits as high as 74mb. Not sure what is going on but the backup to disk reaches the job rate fine almost over 1100mb. Anything I can try?

Carol-Ann

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...

OK, next up would be to check that the Remte Agents are pointing to the correct server. You'll need to log onto your servers running RAWS to check this out. If they're not pointing to the correct server, you can change this.
Another thing to try is to get the latest BEWS 12.5 drivers from the site if you haven't already...?
Also, take a look at those web pages...they may/may not help you.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
Hi,

BE drivers might be the problem. When you changed to BE 12.5, installation did install Symantec Backup Exec's drivers for your tape device. You can check that from your server's device manager.

Have seen this sometimes with older tape devices, mostly with HP's LTO2 drives (HP also might be manufacturer for IBM and DELL branded devices).

When seen this problem, backup rates been something between 20-80Mb/Min, after changing to manufacturer's drivers job rates have been normal.

Could you try with IBM's drivers?

Backup_Exec_BAR
Level 3
I tried doing a live update and that picked up about 20 hotfixes, after applying them the speeds have increased tremendously, but there is still another problem trying to backup the mailboxes to disk it is only hitting 43mb. Any ideas???

Carol-Ann

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Are you doing Brick level backups?  

If so, DONT.  Use GRT.

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi,

Do we have to update the RAWS or the Backup Agent as well to make the backup runs faster ?

Backup_Exec_BAR
Level 3
I was using brick level before and changed it to GRT, the backup to disk increases in job rate and completed less than a half hour. When I go to restore I can see all of my individual mailboxes. Thanks so much.

Otherwise than that my backup to tape from disk have once again decreased to about 400mb and I cant seem to hit over 1000mb. Verifies are moving very quickly but I am not sure why the backup to tape from disk have decreased again. Could it be the type of data I am backing up?

My tech says that drivers from IBM cannot work, we have to use the symantec ones which were installed after I ran tapeinst.exe.

Any Ideas????

teiva-boy
Level 6
You can always use the manufacturers drivers, and in most cases I ran with that for years to get better throughput.  Symantec's are there as they are reliable and stable.  They focus on compatibility and not performance.  Give it a shot.

Also dont forget to update the client agents to match the media server versions.