cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 queued tape autoloader

mek1
Level 3
We're running BE12.5 with an Exabyte 430V (30 slot) autoloader.  The autoloader has two drives. 

I run tape inventory daily,  Incremental 4 days and Full 1 day.  Sometimes the tape jobs (including inventory) are queued with 0% progress.  I cancel the job which typically has been stalled for 8-10 hours and retry a test inventory which again fails. 

When I restart the BE w2k3 server and try the Inventory job it starts moving the autoloader and works fine.  It's annoying to reboot the BE server to ensure tape backups run.

Anyone resolved an issue like this? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi mek1,

Only other thing I can suggest is to completely uninstall your autoloader, and then reinstall it. If that doesn't work, I'd look at updating the Symantec drivers, and doing a hardware check on that autoloader. Our MSL6060 would fail Drive 1, and the other 3 would never work until it was either disabled or replaced.
To completely uninstall/reinstall the autoloader:

1. Open BE and delete the drive. Go into Device Manager and do the same thing.
2. Shut down both the autoloader & server.
3. Disconnect the SCSI cable of the autoloader, and start up the server.
4. Verify that the autoloader is not detected in Device Manager, or under Devices under BE.
5. Shut down the server again, and then connect the autoloader.
6. Start up the autoloader, wait until it's initialised, and then start up the server.
7. When the server has loaded the OS, reapply the drivers.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Hi,

Have you checked to make sure that the Removable Storage service is disabled, and that you're using the Symantec drivers (Device Manager...Device...Drivers...should show SYmantec)?

Thanks!

mek1
Level 3
Removable Storage service was stopped and set to 'Manual'.  I've switched it to 'Disabled' to be sure.

The Device Manager > Tape Drives > Exabyte VXA-2 drives both show Symantec drivers v5.1.  4/12/2007

Now to do more testing to see if the service change has any effect.  If there are any other suggestions it is much appreciated.

Thanks!

CraigV
Under Devices in BE, does it show that it's accessing your autoloader?

mek1
Level 3
CraigV, 

Missed your message.  Anyway, when it worked I'd get the green-arrows of it being accessed. 

This morning I came in to find the tape incremental drive had been queued for 70hrs.  Again, running an inventory to test accessibility shows no usage of the autoloader.

Any other suggestions from the community?

Thanks

CraigV
Hi mek1,

Only other thing I can suggest is to completely uninstall your autoloader, and then reinstall it. If that doesn't work, I'd look at updating the Symantec drivers, and doing a hardware check on that autoloader. Our MSL6060 would fail Drive 1, and the other 3 would never work until it was either disabled or replaced.
To completely uninstall/reinstall the autoloader:

1. Open BE and delete the drive. Go into Device Manager and do the same thing.
2. Shut down both the autoloader & server.
3. Disconnect the SCSI cable of the autoloader, and start up the server.
4. Verify that the autoloader is not detected in Device Manager, or under Devices under BE.
5. Shut down the server again, and then connect the autoloader.
6. Start up the autoloader, wait until it's initialised, and then start up the server.
7. When the server has loaded the OS, reapply the drivers.

mek1
Level 3
Thanks Craig.  We'll see how this holds up from here on out.